World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 27th August 2020, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: WAD Psu3 replacement Board Build

I had to remove the selector switch to get the CF pre apart Easy.
Know I can’t line up the input selector switch? as it was With the front panel inputs as marked
I only have the Switcher manual for the WD88 amp. It says to insert the guide washer in position 6 on the switch but with the hole to stop the switch from turning in the front panel lined up.

I can’t select all inputs as marked on the front panel plus the switch selects the other way as well so it won't line up correctly.
any thoughts on this i seem to get the same source on two positions on each side of the switch

PS I have never set this type of switch up before today
Thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 27th August 2020, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Colin,
OK with the selector switch removed, remove the guide washer. Then holding the body of the switch in the left hand, rotate the shaft fully anticlockwise. That is then position 1. Then if you look closely at the body of the switch you will see around the guide holes numbers from 2 upwards. You then place the guide washer in the hole that gives you the required number of switch ways. The switch can only be from 2 upwards for obvious reasons Once this has been done replace the switch back in the chassis making sure the guide washer does not move or fall out. I often use a bit of Sellotape to hold it in place. Then fasten the switch as normal.
Hope this helps

John
Old 28th August 2020, 07:24 AM

And to add my bit, I configured that switch for 5 positions Colin, not 6, the face plate has the mute position erased, so only 5 required, glad you found the problem, it is easily done. Bob
Old 28th August 2020, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Yes well done Col, a very easy mistake to make
Old 28th August 2020, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
And to add my bit, I configured that switch for 5 positions Colin, not 6, the face plate has the mute position erased, so only 5 required, glad you found the problem, it is easily done. Bob

Pooling my hair out now in frustration
OK I have followed john’s instruction said to do with the guide washer. And noting what Bob said about the face plate has the mute position erased.
SO I have the guide washer in position 5 which gives me 6 position from Aux1 through to CD plus 1

Testing input with one single source CD player.
And swapping inputs one at time I get single out from Aux1 good. / Aux 2 good. / Phono. No single. /Tuner good. /CD no single. And with CD player still connected to the CD input and selector switched to the tuner. I get single from the CD player but not the other way around are you confused yet as I am.
Following the above guidance I just can’t get it to line up I am dun with this now it is trying my patients

I have checked the relay board and replaced two off the diodes one was open circuit at L1. The other L3. Read 0.3v but tested 0.6v out of circuit the others tested 0.2v in circuit and 0.6 out of circuit.

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 28th August 2020, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Sod it giving up with this junk its going in the bin

Old 28th August 2020, 09:14 PM
WD Archivist

I now where you are. I’ve been there as well and it is very frustrating, particularly because in your case you could dispense with the relay and just signal wire it conventionally. Assuming all your wiring is correct, it would seem the fault is with the relay board. I don’t know if this is a new or old previously capable board, but surely reaching out to Matthew might help you here. You could also consider sending your relay board to John for testing, if of course, he is willing to look at it.

Bottom line, whatever you end up doing, I have no doubt you’ll end up with a good and properly functioning system. You’ll get there eventually and then you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good luck. I know you’ll get something sorted.
Old 29th August 2020, 07:35 AM

And my offer still stands. Bob
Old 29th August 2020, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Colin,
We can't have this, dumping something, pack the Pre and PSU safely, PM with your address and I will get the items picked up by UPS fix them and returned to you no charge.

John
Old 29th August 2020, 02:15 PM

Good on yer John, it must be so easy to sort out, but I think it's doing Colin's head in . Bob