World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Forum Funding!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Funding! PayPal contributions to sales@world-designs.co.uk are much appreciated :)

Old 19th July 2020, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Begging Letter

I remember East Germany recording every phone call, a warehouse was found containing millions of recorded tapes, that's part of modern life now, this is one reason why there is a rush to deliver a quantum computer, any cryptic file could be broken in minutes. Information is control.
Old 20th July 2020, 02:51 PM

Chris - spot on.

I can't remember off hand the govt. dept. set up to monitor those they designate 'terrorist organisations. Turns out completely harmless, non violent groups are on 'the list'. Organisations have been infiltrated by under cover police since the 1960s.

Visiting a friend who ran a pub in Wareham, Dorset towards the end of the 90s' met a young man at the Square and Compass just outside Wareham.

He used to work for GCHQ to quote him "if people actually realised just how much data the State has on them they would be horrified". Even Orwell would not believe the level of penetration into peoples' lives Big Brother has. He knew that he would be 'monitored' for the rest of his life.

If your innocent you have nothing to fear said the SS obersturmbahnfuhrer - as the cattle wagons came to a stop.
Old 20th July 2020, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Gentlemen this thread is drifting off topic.
Can we keep on topic please.

John
Old 1st August 2020, 08:59 AM

Hi
Been following this forum since it started but post very infrequently but enjoy immensely the information it provides
will continue to contribute when necessary
Donation made
Old 1st August 2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Gentlemen this thread is drifting off topic.
Can we keep on topic please.

John
Mention bombs and isis no one will take any notice now.😂
I’ll text Mathew for his details. It’ll probBly be quicker than asking GCHQ or the other one that does not exist
Old 5th October 2020, 11:57 AM

So, have we raised adequate amounts yet?

Alastair
Old 13th October 2020, 04:43 PM

Thank you for the prompt Alistair.

Dear All

I’ve been treading a fine line between saying "Thanks everyone; job done!” and saying nothing for the time being - because the appeal is still open (and people are still donating). If I have got the balance wrong, my apologies.

There was never a target, but members have been phenomenally generous and the sum-to-date exceeds any expectations I had. I’m enormously grateful. But, of course, so are all of you - it’s your forum, not mine.

I have been gently exploring options for the forum, but haven’t concluded anything yet. The high overheads we suffer at the moment are a direct consequence of the rather dated software we use - and this software is possibly no longer the best choice anyway. This means lots of tlc - and associated costs. It's simply not an option to throw the site at the cheapest platform available. A complete transfer to newer and better software would make things more stable and allow us to reduce ongoing platform expense.

Thanks to your generosity, the quandary is no longer one of one-off costs (which I am anyway prepared to top-up), but rather the danger of losing legacy material (and possibly functionality) in the transfer process - and legacy material is high on my list of value for the forum. It would be very easy (and cheap) to set up a new forum! In a past life, I have been through the upgrade mangle too many times to know that I’m not imagining the dangers. I didn’t enjoy “upgrading” then, and I dread compromising the safety of the resources and history the forum embodies, now.

That’s my thinking. Yours?

I’d be glad to hear thoughts on this … and I think these thoughts rightfully belong on the forum. A new thread?

I’d also be grateful to hear from anyone with experience of similar issues and/or with technical knowledge - and I don’t think the forum necessarily is the right place for this. So, would anyone with something to offer be in touch with me by email please? I am NOT looking for volunteers for the “task” (too fraught with dangers!) but rather for input, advice and maybe expertise.

IMPORTANT: Money received from this “appeal" will be used to fund any upgrade/change as and when I can find someone suitable to do the job at a sensible cost. If it turns out that it’s not practicable (or sensible) to streamline the forum software, the money already donated will go directly toward the upkeep of the forum (which of course is an ongoing cost) and not into World Designs' coffers. I hope this is clearly understood and that this position is acceptable to all who have donated.

Donations will still be gratefully received.

All best

Matthew
Old 14th October 2020, 08:00 AM

Thank you for the post update Matthew, I can unfortunately offer nothing with regards to upgrading the forum but, others may, I hope, assist, I will still continue to help with donations though. Bob
Old 17th April 2021, 08:25 AM

It is almost 12 months since John posted this thread, time I think for another round of donations, here is my second. Bob
Old 17th April 2021, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Hello everyone,
Well Bob beat me to it, but not by much.
I understand only too well that 2020 was pretty rough for all concerned, but any donation however small will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

John