World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 5th October 2006, 08:56 PM
Lord.

Default Re: Slatedeck Plinths now available

To follow up CycleAllDay's post.
(And kudos to him for persevering given his impressions of the show, and the response he got!)

Darren,
Can the curved edges be put on the single-decker plinths?
I like the idea of a totally replaceable armboard as I'd hate to have arm-choice permanently dictated by a plinth, I'd imagine the decoupling from the motor unit to be better too. So, can the single-decker plinth be split into two bits for motor and arm too?
Old 6th October 2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleallday

The main strucutural difference between the single and double plinth approach is the removal of the tonearm from the top plinth to its total decoupled approach as a separate component standing on the base plinth and poking through the top plinth. Now I fully understand this cannot be accomodated easily in an upgrade, but from a sound perspective does it make a significant difference? I know this is very subjective but can you hear a significant difference and can you rate this in some way?

Up till now I have restrained from giving detailed sonic descriptions of Slatedeck products as my own words wouldn't really carry much weight.

I prefer to let the products speak for themselves via the independent persons who hear them.

But if you consider the fact that Slate minimises vibrations immensely, and the armboard in question is totally decoupled from even this stable platform by sitting on an even higher mass below, then you would be correct in surmising that the armboard is like a rock....in the true sense of the word.

You also stated in an earlier post that (at the show) many females preferred the double plinth on aesthetic grounds. However, it could be they were really saying the nice curved endges of the double plinth looked nicer than the sharp engineering view of the single plinth (rather than two slabs looks better than one).
[/color]

Yes the curved corners and edges can be provided on the single layer plinths.
Please bear in mind that part of keeping the cost down is simplicity. Adding such features takes us very close to the work involved with the Twin Tier setup.

What sort of additional cost would be involved in putting the nice 'curvy' finish to the single plinth (allong with the clever replacable arm mount on the show plinth) ?
I am setting up a price list page along with upgrade descriptions and details.
Please allow me a few days and it should be ready making some aspects much clearer.

Thanks
Darren
Old 6th October 2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.
Darren,
Can the curved edges be put on the single-decker plinths?
I like the idea of a totally replaceable armboard as I'd hate to have arm-choice permanently dictated by a plinth, I'd imagine the decoupling from the motor unit to be better too. So, can the single-decker plinth be split into two bits for motor and arm too?
Hi Matt,
Yes you could have what is effectively a Top Plinth from the Twin Tier on it's own.

I'm looking into alternative methods for armboards all the time.

Darren
Old 9th November 2006, 06:18 PM

Just spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

Someone with a 301 and SME could be lucky!
Old 29th December 2006, 09:17 PM
WD Archivist

An excellent review here on 'Slate Deck' from our very own Clive. It is so refreshing to read reviews written by a genuine enthusiast who has a true insight and comprehension of the review product because the writing is based on the authors own enterprises in similar developmentation. Neal Gibbons achieves similar standards in his reviews published in HFW. Anyway, enjoy the read. It's worth it.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin.../slatedeck.htm

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 2nd January 2007, 02:32 AM

Nice review, helped to spur me into placing my order (finally!).