World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

View Poll Results: Which source do you use most?
Vinyl 64 47.76%
CD 44 32.84%
Squeezebox/MP3/Web download 15 11.19%
Radio 11 8.21%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th August 2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Poll - Vinyl, CD, Squeezebox/MP3, Radio?

Like so many others, I was seduced by the blandishments of digital. By the time I realised I had been duped, I had disposed of nearly all my LPs since I regarded them as being superfluous following the digital transfer of their contents. Oh, woe! How importunate I was . . . .

Even if one could afford the crippling cost of so doing, the clock can't be turned back for whilst the record companies were quick to transfer material to CD and thus promote this new medium for their commercial benefit - in most cases, the production/artistic costs had been amortised years before - there is no likelihood of their reversing the process so that even if I were to resurrect my old equipment, I would have little to play on it.

As has been suggested, the current generation seems ignorant of the need for, or even the existence of quality reproductive equipment. Clearly, digital stuff is capable of much technical improvement but why would the likes of Sony and Philips make the necessary capital investment (given that they would be well into the diminishing returns sector of the exercise) in order to provide an improvement undetected by by the Bose/MP3 mass market.

Sadly, I have voted "CD".

Richard.
Old 13th August 2007, 10:01 PM
WD Archivist

I really don't understand the arguements that suggest that all recorded music lovers sold off their vinyl and record decks and then subsequently discovered they had been misled with the arrival of digital sources such as CDP's. Surely this cannot be the case if you have the ears to hear properly? If you have, you would readily have identified at the introduction of CDP's that the sound reproduced was inferior or, your LP replay systems were at the time well sub-standard. That point may well be significant on this. Sorry, but these kind of arguements are frequently quoted on the forums and in my view are rather economical with the truth. If you got sucked into believing that CD sounded better, maybe at the time it actually did in your system. Now that you have the experience and money to afford a decent LP spinner, maybe now it is better than the digital option?

Who knows? Personally I'm not guilty here. I've always retained an LP spinner and when I did seriously sell off or destroy parts of my collection it was because I thought some albums morally bad and thereafter, at the time, I needed some cash. I've spent many years recovering my vinyl music libarary after that rash moment.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 13th August 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
I've always retained an LP spinner and when I did seriously sell off or destroy parts of my collection it was because I thought some albums morally bad
That's an intriguing comment, Greg. If you don't mind me asking, which albums and why?
Old 14th January 2008, 08:54 PM

Answered this as honestly as I can - I use my Squeezebox 3 through Stello DAC most often - however I am in absolutely no doubt that my best sounding source is my TT (Michell Oddyssey / Technoarm / Rondo Blue) via my PhonoIIIs. The sheer ease and conveinience of the SB wins for casual listening though.

Cheers
Dave
Old 26th January 2009, 01:57 AM

We mostly listen to cassettes I feel marginalised - but I can cope - our main input is radio - often late junction which we tape onto a Nak 670 and then occassionally extact the best and archive that onto a cd. However we have naks in 3 rooms!

Now I have got some valves back again after 20 years I can enjoy cd's which thru my chrome bumper naim stuff was previously often a chore. SO cd's will come back again but Im plinthing a 401 at present and it remains to see what role it plays in future. Im no fan of wifi but we bought a ipod for Christmass and who knows where that will lead us re squeezboxes etc. However we kept all our vinyl and tapes and resisted cd's untill late on.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:15 AM

Greg, is there something you know that the rest of us don't? I've tried hard but I honestly can't find anything in the least bit offensive in any post by Nakman or Matthew Cole. Whats up old mate?

Last edited by Shane; 28th January 2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Ooops, wrong name/
Old 28th January 2009, 12:17 AM

Same with me !

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:31 PM

Whatever it was, I guess it wasn't Greg!
Old 28th January 2009, 12:35 PM

I see Greg shows in other posts now as Banned. Red card?
Old 30th January 2009, 06:00 PM

I still listen to cassette tapes a great deal, more than vinyl some weeks. Not used CD player this year yet. Cassette Tape is not in the poll.