World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 10th August 2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Twin Tier 301 Slate Plinth

Paul was late arriving and Greg had to leave early, there was little overlap if I remember.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 10th August 2006, 12:59 PM

Almost no overlap at all, in fact, if I recall correctly, t'was the afternoon by the time we heard Paul's deck. Greg had already left, just after lunch, I think.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Old 10th August 2006, 02:02 PM

Ah I see. Sorry Greg. So does anyone want to remark on the sound of Paul's turntable?
Old 10th August 2006, 04:03 PM

I remember a very dodgy looking plumber with shaky hands trying to lower the arm and cart on to one of my prized records!

Peter, from the brief listen in sub optimal room conditions and cart. alignment it sound good but I wouldn't make any firm statement on sound quality until we've / I've had time to listen longer, plus we did not hear a Lenco mounted in one.

If you or Darren need a GL99 to try I'm more than willing to help and critique / review if needed...
Old 10th August 2006, 07:45 PM

Where does the Eggfest's take place and when is the next one?

Paul
Old 10th August 2006, 07:49 PM

see this thread

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...8656#post18656

Old 10th August 2006, 08:18 PM

I remember it was bloody heavy as Paul left me to hold it (he had lost the supports), then legged it out into his van for what seemed hours. I think Mark had a go then for a time after I started to suffer from lactic acid buildup.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 10th August 2006, 09:31 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Peter,

You've written a very useful and informative series of articles on the Slatedecks in your products section. There are a couple of things though.

As Nick's post above indicates, these plinths are very heavy. I'm sure I'm not alone in having to consider weight especially because, with bouncy floors, I have to use a wall mounted support. Darren has also posted previously that he has a heavy slate shelf in a fireplace alcove for his system. Not all of us have that luxury. Some weight specification would be good and might also address H & S issues. I mean, if the armboard alone for the 'Twin Tier' is 2Kg, the overall plinth weight must be significant.

The other thing is just a bit of wickedness. I'm waiting for the response from the CLD plinth advocates

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 11th August 2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.
Because of a little bit of caustic influence in the last few posts, I re-read this thread completely. Can I suggest as it's been dormant for a couple of weeks that we all do that. It really does put the whole thing into reasonable perspective.

What I'm really waiting for is some performance reviews of Darren's slate plinths. Above he claims good sound results and although I don't know him, I know his associates who I trust. They have faith in his ears, so I'm encouraged that his products do the sound business. Is anyone buying? Turn around is six weeks. If you are a buyer and user, please post your impressions on sound.

I have an issue on decoupled armboards. My experience is that light weight hardwood boards work well with my Michell TecnoArm which seems to deal well with the common criticism on 401 alternative plinths of a veiled treble response. Darren is using over 2Kg of decoupled slate to achieve his arm isolation. What is the effect on sound there?

I'm fully behind WD supporting Darren in his venture and expect that anything he makes is better than something else (see Paul's post on wood CLD plinth construction), but actually we don't have any measure we can apply. We really do need a review that takes into account alternative plinth constructions in comparison. We know now per se that a Garrard or Goldring bolted to a solid massive plinth will work. Now we need to know if Darren's designs have addressed that issue and offer the best bang for the bucks. If it does, I'll buy.

Best wishes,

Greg
I would like to see a good review of this in HiFi World or similar too. It would make aquiring a lenco or Garrod top of my to do list. The plinths look the dogs danglies tho, and I would then have to buy one to mount my aquisition in......

ONE LOVE