World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 5th October 2021, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default Attention to detail Builds

Hi all
Well just thought it may be a good idea for us to discuss how-to tips and tricks on building a kit or scratch built amp/speakers with Attention to detail methods and tools used and show images of your builds as you will see from the image of my Single-ended J.E labs 6SL7/El34 version one I can’t do woodwork or metalwork to save my life but it’s now in version three and looks a bit better so no not really an Attention to detail but it sounds detailed tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JE Labe Amp V3 .JPG (100.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg JE Labs Amp V1.JPG (65.6 KB, 33 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 15th October 2021, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Attention to detail Builds

Added another image of the Single-ended J.E labs under test at the time of build with the KT66s in it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0318.JPG (130.1 KB, 35 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 13th November 2021, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi all
Not a lot happening on here right now so just thought id post some more pics on my DIY system this time it’s the speakers that go with the J.E labs Single-ended Amp above.
These are the frugal horns Mk1s which are a rear-loaded horn with a Fostex FE.126E 4.5 inch full range driver’s 15watt 8ohms 93db

The cabinets are made from HDF, not the cheap MDF I must add I did not make them I can’t do that stuff but I did paint them not very well thou and added the black front baffle boards and the side panels which stop the sand falling out
Sound-wise on their own there are a bit thin sounding but have excellent midrange but there is a peak around 5k common to this driver which I am trying to smooth out the lower bass is down around 65Hz so I have added my Mordant Short MS812s - 8 ohms, Sensitivity - 90dB,

With their tweeters out of the circuit and their bass drivers firing outward the MS812 go down to 55Hz plus whatever the room does maybe not be the best way to do this but it works with good sounds staging this is not a new setup it started life around 2005 but it is one I keep coming back to with the Je labs amp will it stay
some pictures added and build plans pdf. in the following post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FruglehornSandfill_zpse76104cf (2017_04_10 19_34_50 UTC).jpg (19.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.JPG (88.5 KB, 16 views)

Old 13th November 2021, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

more pictures and link to https://www.frugal-horn.com/Frugel-Horn.html
colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.JPG (97.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MORDAUNT SHORT MS812.jpg (64.3 KB, 14 views)

Old 13th November 2021, 09:16 PM

About 20 years ago now I made a pair of small transmission line speakers, they were about 200mm square x 900mm high, they had very small bass mid drivers about 4" dia with the tweeter mounted on the top of the cabinet in a cylindrical aluminium housing, the bass for such a small driver was very good but, I could not get the crossover to my liking and sadly my wood working was poor to say the least. I gave them to a friend who still uses them. Bob