World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 24th August 2006, 12:06 AM

Location: Johannesburg, but presently doing PhD in the Uk, Oxford
Wink Free Mltqwt Speaker Cabs On Offer

Hi Guys

Anyone want a FREE pair of speaker cabs??

I made a pair of MLTQWT's whilst here in Oxford (Mass Loaded Tapered Quarter Wave Tube) ... they were designed with Martin Kings excellent software, for my Vifa 5" drivers (taken from Ariels) ... and I mounted the scan spec tweet on top ... see 'ugly' pics attached (sorry for poor quality) ... the cabs looks a lot better in the flesh ... with a 'natural' ply wood finish .... although rough diy ... they look quite acceptable.

Anyway ... I am looking for someone to take these cabs. I am packing away my stuff ... as I go back home to South Africa at end of month ... I need to take the drivers with me back to SA ... but the cabs are free for anyone who wants them ... otherwise, I will be forced to put them in the bin ... which seems a waste.

Richard Higgins has offered to transport these cabs up to the next EggFest ... and dump them there for someone to grab … so no transport costs involved!

The pipes are tuned for a 5" driver ... with Fs=60hz ... BUT, I did not glue down the bottom panel which has the bass reflex port ... this panel is a tight fit ... and seals in place with blue tack ... SO the port is easily adjusted for use with a different driver.

I consider MLTQWT cab’s to be superior to 'old school' transmission lines … I had good results from them whilst here in the UK.

My simulations (using Martin Kings software) show that a MLTQWT is not so critical viz a viz driver parameters ... so I am sure these cabs will be great for most smallish drivers ... excellent results could be had from the right paper dual cone car speaker!

SO … if anyone is interested ... or knows someone who might be ... then please just drop me a line.

Best Wishes
Jonathan Noble
Old 24th August 2006, 12:43 AM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Free Mltqwt Speaker Cabs On Offer

Hi Jonno,

I'll have them. I'll PM or email you.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 24th August 2006, 08:38 AM

If you haven't heard these enclosures before Greg, I reckon you'll be impressed. I'm listening to a pair wih FE167Es in them at this moment. One of the most versatile cabinets I've ever come across -half a dozen drivers I've checked slot in with only a few mods to the vent needed.

Scott
Old 24th August 2006, 10:14 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that. I'm waiting for Jonathan to come back to me. If I have a deal with him, no doubt I'll want to consult you further. I've been reading some more of your stuff elsewhwere......impressed. Jonathan is in Oxford and I have family there so collection etc would be easy.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 25th August 2006, 07:33 AM

Hi Greg
Jonathan is leaving returning to S Africa at the end of August, so unless you're coming to Oxford in the next week, I'll pick them up and store them.
I live in Eynsham about 4 miles from Oxford on the A40 toward Cheltenham.

Regards Richard
Old 25th August 2006, 09:53 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for the kind offer. I think I'll be able to manage but if I get stuck I'll be in touch.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 26th August 2006, 10:20 PM

Location: Johannesburg, but presently doing PhD in the Uk, Oxford

Hi Greg

Nice to hear from you ... and glad you are happy to take these cabs ... I had nice results from them whilst here in OXford.

I am in university accomodation ... 62 Summertown House, 369 Banburg rd, Oxford, OX2 6QZ ... corner of Apsley road, which is in Summertown, just north of Oxford, near to the ring road.

So ... if you can come to collect, that would be GREAT. Note I fly back to SA on 31st Sept ... but my wife will be here a for further two weeks ... gives till mid Sept ... but best if we can settle this asap.

I note Richard's kind offer to hold the cabs for you, should you need more time to collect ... I emailed Richard to say THANKS-for-this!

The cabs have long-hair lambs wool as stuffing ... and wool felt pads as panel damping ... the real deal!

Note ... they are built a little rough ... but look quite acceptable, with natural wood finish ... light 'Pine' plywood.

Can't seem to attach a pic with this email browser ... but if you send me your personal email number ... then I can send you a pic to 2 ... for you see what they look like.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Wishes
Jonathan Noble
Old 27th August 2006, 10:02 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Jonathan,

You have PM and email.

Best wishes,

Greg