World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 24th January 2023, 06:14 PM

Default Re: JR149 speakers

Hi Richard,
I know this is an old thread...
I have a pair of 149s with walnut end caps that are in nice shape with regard to scratches, etc. but look dried out and dull.
Based on your having said "Oiled the wood and it's come up well.", I was wondering if you used the Danish Oil, or something else?
I want to freshen up the wood, but don't want to damage it.
Thanks,
Martin
Old 25th January 2023, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: JR149 speakers

Hi Martin, yes, Danish oil, I've used both Rustins and Wilko brand, they're both good and easy.

Not sure if you've used it before but it's very good for this sort of thing unless the old wood and varnish are in really bad condition. It brightens things up and any patina left still looks good.

I did the minimum, wiped over with white spirit, then a very light sand with fine paper on a block not really trying to remove any remaining original laquer, just flatting any rough bits.

The wood is thin veneer of course and easy to go through so less is always better. (You can always wipe it off with white spirit and start over again if it needs more prep.)

Then a gentle rub over with a Green Scotchbrite pad (for cleaning pans - from Asda).

The trick with using the oil (which is a type of varnish really and does dry after a day or two) is to wipe an excess on with a clean cloth, leave it 20 minutes, then buff it all off with a dry cloth, before leaving it a full day to dry.

Then a gentle rub with the Green pad and repeat for 3 coats (it's much quicker than it sounds!).

There are a couple of links here which say similar. (What doesn't work is putting lots on and expecting it to dry as it wont!)

https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.c...ts/danish-oil/

https://danish-oil.com/how-to-apply-danish-oil/

I used the second method in the second link.

Cheers, Rich