World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 5th March 2018, 04:54 PM

Default Suitable 'speaker cables for valve amps?

At present I use the Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 0.60mm between my Quad amp and LV 'speakers.
I'm soon to make a KEL84 and wonder if there's any benefit in cable swapping. (I hasten to add I don't think it will but...).

This in one forum:
"Subjectively, twisted cables bring the midrange forward and tighten up the bass. Spacing the conductors further apart and not twisting them has the opposite effect - they give the bass a more relaxed feel with longer decay of notes. Knowing this simple fact can help you correct a system imbalance by matching it to a more suitable cable.
If you have valve amps, you should almost certainly choose twisted cable as this will tighten the bass by reducing the inductance load. Valve amps are notoriously load sensitive which is one reason this works.

A large diameter solid core wire such as Origin Live Soli-Core is highly favoured by valve amp users. No one really seems to know exactly why thick twisted solid core wire works so well on valves but it outperforms exotic alternatives including Litz wires."

See:
https://www.originlive.com/originlik...ker-cable.html

(Looks like mains cable!)

Also: ttps://blackrhodium-uk.shptron.com/p/twirl-speaker-cable-per-metre?pp=12
(foo?)

And: "I have a WAD* KEL 84
Re the speaker cables I use Electrofluidics 20 /20 to great effect" (Expensive).

Any comments?

Thanks,

Bonky/Richard.
Old 5th March 2018, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Suitable 'speaker cables for valve amps?

I don't think there is a right or wrong regarding cables, go with a basic cable until your happy with your system then you can experiment with different types of cables to find out which ones you like or fit best into your system.
You could buy secondhand off ebay then sell on if your not happy with them. I have VDH Revelation speaker cables, Morrow MA7 interconnects, 8 core litz 99.99% solid silver, solid silver mains cable, and JPS KAPTOVATOR mains cable.
Many will say they hear no difference between cables and that's fine with me, some are deaf or with limit hearing, others like me could be imagining the improvement. A basic cable will get you a long way there is no need to spend a fortune, I have heard many systems costing over 100k, they do sound good but not always better then a good diy kit that has been lovingly put together.

Chris
Old 5th March 2018, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Richard 2
Hi
Well I have used 30 Amp twin and earth Mains the same stuff your wall sockets are wired with for over 30 year on solid state a single ended valve amp

and had know call to change it go to your local diy store get the length you need and strip the outer white PVC off and Twist it if you like
It’s cheap to try about £4.99 for five meters last time I got some
PS I do have some original QED 79 strand that I some time use

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 5th March 2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added text
Old 5th March 2018, 09:25 PM

Thanks guys; very much my thoughts too. There's a lot of 'foo'/snake-oil out there - usually embellished with a load of pseudo-scientific BS.

I was interested in the twisted solid core idea though, as I, like Colin, immediately thought of mains cable- presumably the thicker the better.

I've just turned 70 so I know my 'top-end' (ears and hair) are severely compromised; so I suppose I was looking for something to 'lift' the upper frequencies a little. Not sure that cables are the answer though - unless one dabbles in solid silver (expensive!). For scientific reasons ( I'm NOT a physicist - just an old Biology lecturer), silver-plated copper wire, although it sounds like a good idea, apparently isn't.

Thanks again,

Richard
Old 5th March 2018, 09:27 PM

Back in the late 70's I remember using that orange lawn mower cable, a good step up from bell wire..I remembering reading some where that Quad used the same stuff to demonstrate their electrostatic speakers at a hifi show.

Chris.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Back in the late 70's I remember using that orange lawn mower cable, a good step up from bell wire..I remembering reading some where that Quad used the same stuff to demonstrate their electrostatic speakers at a hifi show.

Chris.
I am using that stuff as I type this!

The, possibly apocryphal, story relating to the orange double insulated garden flex and Quad was, i seem to remember, that Quad had brought everything to a Hi Fi show except the speaker wire, and there was a DIY store or garden centre opposite the venue so they sent someone across the road for a few metres of wire and that's what came back. And there were questions asked of where could one purchase this fancy special orange speaker cable as the sound was so good it had to be down to this new wire.
You can decide for yourself whether to believe this version of events!

I really ought to get a long enough length of something new as these are reclaim off an old lawnmower of my dads!
Was a short term lash up but I reckon its fine and dandy on my kit.
I believe Bob Orbell swears by good old 79 strand.
My ears are still pretty good especially at the HF end of things but I have never been really sure what I should be "listening for".

I don't bother with most of the fora out there as I find it's too easy to slip up on all the snake lubricant and pseudo physics.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
Thanks guys; very much my thoughts too. There's a lot of 'foo'/snake-oil out there - usually embellished with a load of pseudo-scientific BS.

I was interested in the twisted solid core idea though, as I, like Colin, immediately thought of mains cable- presumably the thicker the better.

I've just turned 70 so I know my 'top-end' (ears and hair) are severely compromised; so I suppose I was looking for something to 'lift' the upper frequencies a little. Not sure that cables are the answer though - unless one dabbles in solid silver (expensive!). For scientific reasons ( I'm NOT a physicist - just an old Biology lecturer), silver-plated copper wire, although it sounds like a good idea, apparently isn't.

Thanks again,

Richard
Doesn't stop Chord Co using silver plated multistrand wire on stuff like their "Rumour" speaker wires.
I have a couple of 2m lengths of Rumour, I'm never sure if its the very short length of wire or the construction that has any effect.

Andy.
Old 6th March 2018, 01:32 PM

I made UBYTE 2 (TNT Audio) years ago - beat the **** out of any commercial stuff. Used it with KAT88 and a hybrid amp. I don't know if the CT100 or CT125 sat. cable is still available from Maplin or other outlets anymore.

At sometime in the near future I will make new speaker cable If I can source - bare 1-1.25 mm OFC (or better) copper solid core wire to use inside FEP oversize dialectric for both pos and neg. To make them will be really easy as is to source the FEP dialectric, it's decent purity wire that is hard.
Old 7th March 2018, 01:36 AM

I took advice from those who are more knowlegable than I and bought inexpensive cables, although I did try some Chord rumours. I've since changed to Van Damme 6.0mm square 99.99 ofc. Beats the pants off the chords to my ears . Vd code is 268 506 000. This gives a nice musical balance running between my icon 845s and wd25ex.
Henry Curniffe
Old 7th March 2018, 10:12 AM
WD Archivist

I have tried many speaker cables over the years including home made designs. I have also experimented with bi-wiring. I now have for me my ultimate cable. I have concluded bi-wiring is simply a waste of money. It doubles the cost, brings no benifit to sound and doubles capacitance.
I now use Belden 5000 series cable, specifically 5T00UP (white jacket 10AWG).
Unfortunately although this cable is available in large quantity orders in the UK and EU, I have not found any supplier of the short lengtbs we require. It is however hugely popular in the USA and is a cheap cable so purchase from there even with duty and transit charges taken into consideration. Buy from Bluejeans who incorporate all the additional charges in their final price, so delivery is in about 48 hours to your door, all charges paid for. No messing about. On request they will also terminate for you with very smart locking banana plugs which are connected by ‘cold welding’ although this does up the price somewhat.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm