World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 12th October 2020, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Paypal dont care now read this

Hi All
Well would you believe it very soon I will not be able to use PayPal why well because I do not have a mobile phone so they can send me an ID. Code to authenticate nine times I have contacted them on this and all I get is redirected to offshore call centre yes 9 time I have done this now

I spent some 20 minutes trying to explain that I do not have a f*****g mobile phone she then put me on hold for about ten minutes came back and said that we have to send you an sms code to your mobile phone so there is now a dent in the wall where my landline hit the wall. In anger
It is very clear that PayPal are not interested in there customers now. I have added this note in to this post this is not from me but below in red is just to let you all see what PayPal are doing or not doing more like

Extract I found online from the PayPal wed site about this very problem

Re: No Mobile Phone
Ah, I was wrong, it was 9 out of 59 not 7! Most of the ones listed only guarantee wifi calling will work if you buy the phone from them, all are restricted in the handsets that will work. None of this bears any particular relevence to the Original Post which is about people who do not have (or want) a mobile phone. Doesn't change the fact that Paypal are not offering any alternative to mobile phone verification, the FCA's position on this is is quite clear
"We expect firms to develop SCA solutions that work for all groups of consumers. This means that you may need to provide several different methods of authentication for your customers. This includes methods that do not rely on mobile phones to cater for consumers who will not have or won’t want to use a mobile phone. If this is not the case, or where firms are facing difficulties, we expect them to discuss with us as priority"
Paypal are totally ignoring this and in my opinion will suffer for it, customers will find alternative payment methods and walk away.

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 12th October 2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: my Spelling again
Old 12th October 2020, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Paypal dont care now read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Paypal are totally ignoring this and in my opinion will suffer for it, customers will find alternative payment methods and walk away.[/color]
Colin,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with PayPal. They claim they are complying with some new EU regulation, but I suspect that is just an excuse. In spite of creating different passwords and following other instructions, I am quite unable to log in to my account. This is particularly infuriating because every avenue connected with resolving the problem invariably leads to "go to log-in" which, of course, I am unable to do. I agree that PayPal seem quite indifferent to the situation of some of their customers, unlike pretty well everyone else whose sites I visit where they are incredibly concerned about my safety and privacy to such a degree that I'm unable to see anything unless I agree to all the bollocks about their cookies and so on. I despair!

I too have tried to talk to PayPal without any satisfactory response; it would indeed seem that without a poserphone, you no longer exist. I am disinclined to adjust my behaviour to accommodate the convenience of PayPal, so will have to do without their extraordinarily useful service. This is a blow as I do nearly all my on-line purchases by this means.

However, if there are "alternative payment methods", please spill the beans because that's where I'm headed if it's possible.

Last edited by Baggy Trousers; 12th October 2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 13th October 2020, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Baggy trousers
It’s good to hear I am not the only with this issue. Anyone else here having this problem let us know

Yes I was also told by at least 8 of the 9 people I talked to it was an EU regulation. And I was completely sidestepped when I said that the UK is not in the EU. Now. And any help I was getting deaded at that point thank you PayPal with a capital B.

I also do all my online shopping and buying things from you guys on here as well using PayPal so sorry guy I cant buy your used parts now. I have used PayPal since 2004 so defiantly no customer loyalty here but I can still get login for now but it’s a back door root faff plus I am not a robot process

I am know also looking for an alternative payment methods that work the same way as PayPal with a landline phone guys if you can help let us know ASAP
.thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 13th October 2020, 07:36 AM

Hi Colin and Baggo. This all news to me, I too use PayPal a lot and still can at the moment, yes I do have a mobile phone but, hate the blasted thing, it is only carried when I cycle or motorcycle as a emergency devise if I come unstuck, although in all my ridding life I have never had the need. Bob
Old 13th October 2020, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Col,

I've just logged in to PP from a new browser screen. It's now operating enhanced security and says,

As part of the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation, we need additional information to confirm it's really you when you log in.

• Receive a text
Mobile ‪07••• ••****‬
  • Have us call you

• Receive a text
  • Have us call you
We'll show you a code on the next screen. Use it when you get our call.
Mobile ‪07••• ••****‬

There are radio buttons to select Receive a text or Have us call you.

Other online bank accounts have been doing this for a while;

If you choose Receive a text they send a number/one-time password which you enter on the computer screen.

If you choose Have us call you they show you a number on the computer screen then call you on your landline and you enter that number in the phone handset.

I tried both ways and they worked fine. Be careful though to select the number they call you on to make sure it's showing your landline number.

It's an automated call, wait for her to speak, then just enter the number from the Have us call you screen screen into the handset.
Old 13th October 2020, 09:42 AM

It is part of new security measures designed to make things better and more secure for us as customers.

My bank has been doing this for some while now. They routinely ask me (when I log into my account) to verify my phone numbers (landline and mobile) and also to authenticate the device (computer) that I am using.

The scheme will (as I understand things) soon apply to some shop purchases in which case a mobile would be essential.

If I set up a new payee on my internet bank account I have to enter a code number which they send by phone (I choose landline by default) and when the transaction is complete I get a text on my mobile phone to inform me of a new transaction.

So, if some lowlife is trying to drain my account I would soon know.

Banks also commonly ask customers who withdraw large amounts of cash what the money is for, and have saved many a person from falling victim to heartless scammers.

As much as these measures might seem unnecessary, and intrusive, they are designed to make it much safer for us, and I, for one, am glad they do.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 13th October 2020, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Richard/Philip
Yes we know this but you seem to be missing the point and that is that I do not have a mobile phone so can’t be sent to me that way papal require a 6 digit number and if I get them to send a code to my landline you get a 10 digit number and that won’t work but PayPal don’t care about that and yes I am all for better security. but this is an EU regulation PayPal are enforcing on us but do I have to remind you all that we have left the EU.that regulation should not apply to the UK in my view.

And second yes my bank updated there security as well but they did it the easy way when you click the login button a code came up on the pc monitor then my landline phone rang and you just keyed in that code on the pc monitor that’s it job done

If anyone wishes to say well just buy a mobile phone then. Right here is why I haven’t on my other thread about buying a phone Richard and others helped me to narrow down a descent phone for the budget I have and thank all for that. So I have a couple in mind ok so now the sim card costs around say a fiver and up and this may surprise some of you but my monthly call charges range from £0.00 to under £3.00 odds in any one month so it would cost me more just to run a mobile. As the sim card expires if you don’t use it up inside the month

The landline phone is used for emerges or utility needs only I no longer have family to phone in this county and most friends I have ether moved away over the years and lost touch or some have died.

PS also don’t need a mobile for music or online use away from home that stuff I do at home on my PC.
There you have it folks
Thank
Colin

Old 13th October 2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I tried both ways and they worked fine. Be careful though to select the number they call you on to make sure it's showing your landline number.
Well I have a screen on my landline phone but is not connected to the internet - it only shows numbers and, when it feels like it, caller ID.

I have tried the "have us call you" option but the number when it comes through on the landline is gabbled only once by a machine voice copied from a North Korean with a severe speech impediment - it is totally unintelligible and consequently useless. There is no means of obtaining a repeat of the message. I can still sometimes get into PayPal via a "back door" method but success is not guaranteed and is likely to be blocked soon anyway.

I agree Philip that security and so on is a good and obviously necessary thing, but I do object to being excluded from the PP facility (of which I have been a regular customer since it was known as Confinity 20 years ago) because I choose not to engage with up-to-the-minute technology. Of course, the last thing these people want to do is speak to a real person; this is why a telephone number never is available. And why I should be happy to find another provider of PP's services if one is to be found.

I am absolutely with Colin on this. The only time I use my steam-driven mobile is infrequently to tell Mrs Trousers that I'm likely to be late or, mercifully more infrequently, call the breakdown service to rescue me and my bike. I have neither need nor want of anything else.
Old 13th October 2020, 03:51 PM

It is unfortunate that having a mobile phone and / or a computer is taken as a given these days. Not having internet access is a big problem now when so much of life is done online.

My mobile phone is a Doro with a pay as you go sim card. I think you have to use the phone about once a month to keep your credit. My credit lasts a LONG time and the Doro needs charging once a week, as I leave it switched on 24/7. Like Baggo it's purely for emergencies and security purposes.

With any form of progress someone is always going to be left behind as the majority prosper. So it's sad, but tuff titty.

On Ebay some of my transactions are transferred to the PayPal site for processing now, so it may be that PayPals monopoly on that site is coming to an end.

I'd rather not use PayPal, or Amazon, or Apple (etc) but sometimes needs must.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 13th October 2020, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

HI baggy
if you can still get into Paypal use the following it should also work if you cant get into Paypal but will take longer.
You may have tried this but this free 0800 number is what I used to get into the call center in Ireland this is from their Paypal site. Freephone number available from local landline only: 0800 358 7911.

Then when asked key in the code you see on your pc screen and go through the **** and ask for security or complaints if you are lucky you will get someone from Ireland which still may be pointless
Hope it helps
Colin