World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Suppliers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suppliers Recommended Component Suppliers (and the ones to be avoided)

Old 28th October 2006, 05:51 PM

Default A moan about paypal

I sold something to someone, last sunday, today, he insituted a claim with paypal for goods not received.

After a lengthy call to paypal, very difficult to firstly get through, secondly and inordinate amount of time telling me useless info I don't want to know....I only want to talk to someone....

Then third getting put off by some jobsworth goon, I managed to get through to the most senior person there today.

I put it to them at length that ebay, upon which it was sold, allows 28 days for an item to be received,

paypal said that buyers could put in a claim after 1 day, or even 5 minutes, there is no limit how soon!!!

so according to std parcels, nominally 4-7 days, upto 14 or even more.

that's scarcely enough time.

Now I had lost £200 a year ago, and my item to some fraudster whom the police are still dragging their slow heals, no doubt busting some minor drug, alcohol, or petty shoplifting, and no protection was given, upon which I quizzed the good but extremely talkative lady about somthing else, about an auction I won from bongo bongo land, and am wary.

there is a big section on the item listing page, saying paypal buyer protection, looks good, on the ebay website, that says buyer protection, upto £500.

it says, "Learn how you are protected

PayPal Buyer Protection -- Up to £500 coverage

You ARE protected? I am ????

as it happens I am not....
I receive disturbing info from the paypal person, so, I click on eligibility

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/prob...geName=bpptest

lots of pages, ebay buyer protection, and also paypal protection, which to look at???

ebay buyer protection:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/isgw...ion-steps.html

it has the protection symbols, on the item itself, surely that's enough, I am covered, or am I?

"When you pay with PayPal for an item covered by PayPal Buyer Protection, you may receive coverage up to £500.00 at no additional cost"

this is emblazoned on the listing, so it seems it protected, it also has a symbol

I check the paypal official help, here

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...p-info-outside

£500.00 GBP buyer protection coverage on qualified eBay purchases.

"When you are shopping on eBay, look for items that are covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. Qualified items will automatically display the PayPal Buyer Protection shield and you will receive free purchase protection up to £500.00 GBP."

unedited, no more words to that effect. The item displays the shield, looks fine.

this is all it says, how many pages, how much reading must I do, how much learning about the systems, the way the operate?

eventually, I find this, whatever this means, but it means there is no protection for this item.

paypal bumph link..

"look for protection symbols in the following "seller information" section of the seller's listing."

what on earth does that mean?? It means I am not covered for this transaction, despite sayiing " learn how you are covered, and having protection symbols on the auction page.

upon lengthy trawl,

I find out, the protection symbol HAS to occur on some part of the listing pages, not on the auction item itself, which it does, I see the symbol, it says it should have the symbol, I am protected, in other places it says the symbol should be there.

In only one inaccessible place, it says the symbol should be in a certain place in ebay to qualify for protection, and not where it is.

its confusing, its contracdictory, its misleading, its VERY VERY hard to get the right information.

Only inside paypal, and going to the relevant section, after consultation with the person at paypal, do I find for sure, its not covered.

What an utter travesty it is.

misleading, lots of links to read, duplicated, but in different language, some saying one thing, another something else, none giving the relevant DEFINITIVE information in one place.

my days of ebay and paypal are numbered

Last edited by Ianm2; 28th October 2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 29th October 2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: A moan about paypal

I'm reading more and more posts like this everyday Ian, you're not alone. I take it you've seen the paypalsucks web site?

Read somewhere of having a bank account just for Paypal. Empty everything from Payapl into this account and immediately move those funds again in to your main account. On any sales wait 5 days to allow for funds to fully clear *before* shipping any goods. If a charge back comes then your Paypal account may sit in a negative balance and cause issues with your PP account but at least your money won't have been touched...
Old 30th October 2006, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ian

Thanks for warning/telling us of your exp with this supplier. I wrote a while ago of a similar charge-back my friend suffered. He took his case to the FOS and Paypal did refund his money in the end.

I'll move these posts to the supplier section.

Rich
Old 1st November 2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Hi Ian

Thanks for warning/telling us of your exp with this supplier. I wrote a while ago of a similar charge-back my friend suffered. He took his case to the FOS and Paypal did refund his money in the end.

I'll move these posts to the supplier section.

Rich
FOS ???

Whats that Richard?

ONE LOVE
Old 1st November 2006, 01:59 PM

fock off scammers dept.

noted the moved thread, cheers, hope it wasn't to bad being in the wrong place.
Old 1st November 2006, 02:09 PM

Even if you didn't use PayPal you would find the same problem. At work we sell software via the company web site. Even though the transaction is auth'd by the card companyies, there is nothing we can do if the buyer then waits for the next card statement, rings up his card company and tells them that he didn't buy the thing, it must have been someone else with his information. The card company will just back the transaction out, and there is very little we can do about it.

PayPal know that the card companies can do this to them, so what else can they do?

I am not suggesting its a good situation, but I don't think there is a better option unfortunatly.

We (the company) just have to accept it as one of the overheads of doing online transactions :-(

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOONDI
FOS ???

Whats that Richard?
Financial Ombudsman Service

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

well known to many with endowment mortgages

Rich
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

check this

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money-s...1&in_page_id=5

Rich
Old 2nd November 2006, 02:10 PM

I guess (like us at work) at the end of the day you need to decide if the additional profit made by using paypal as a seller is more or less than the additional overhead of lost money due to problems.

I expect you will on average, get a lower sales price by not using paypal, so just as it is for PayPal its about making the best bottom line you can.

I know that may sound unsympathetic, I don't mean to be, but I just think thats the way its always been in commerce.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.