World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 10th November 2023, 09:51 PM

Default Bang and Olufsen Help Required

Help Needed.
I have recently moved into a bungalow and after many years of owning valve amps and different speaker, she who must be obeyed, wants a music system which doesn't have yards of cabling on show (which i secretly agree is unsightly and hard to clean).
So, the older B and O equipment looks trendy but how good is it, what goes wrong with it and can it be repaired. I've always been led to believe the sound is decent but not top notch. Now that I've started to draw my pension and hearing is not what it was, should I go down this route, and what model is recommended (or what should be given a wide berth!).
Music media is Vinyl or CD. so planning to keep my Deck and CD player.
I would appreciate the forums thoughts or (constructive) comments on this manufacturer.
Old 11th November 2023, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Bang and Olufsen Help Required

I've never really thought much about Bang and Olufsen, but this is kind of fab.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1002...search_click=1

It's a bit pricey but I've always loved radiograms. I think it goes back to when my grandparents had one in pride of place in the lounge and I was never allowed anywhere near it.

I'm sure there are lots of original valve ones out there. No CD player, though.
Old 11th November 2023, 03:57 PM

Hi TimN
Thanks for the thought, I like the idea, but rather than start hares running I'll stick to my original route. If it falls flat I'll bare it in mind. Though it looks to fit the bill of hiding ugly leads.
Old 12th November 2023, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, you don't mention radio or streaming. Given that speakers and your deck and CDp will need wiring the same then all you seem to be asking for is an integrated amp of decent quality which includes a phono input. In days gone by the Quad 34 FM4 306 in its dedicated stand was a popular choice for tidy hi-fi. Perhaps todays equivalent might be their Vena range of new or second hand or a similar quality unit from someone else. Worth a demo if you've got a retailer near you.
Old 12th November 2023, 07:22 PM

Hi Richard
Thanks for your thoughts.
I thought about B and O equipment as it steered away from the conventional square box look, and the none hifi fan (in our house) might find the look more palatable. I was thinking of a receiver from about the time of the Quad 34 era, which seem at most about £500. The system will have to be in our living room which is about 7yds by 5yds. so the equipment will be looked at by others in the house. At present I have but not set up, a couple of Hifi world Mullard 5/20 power amps sat on top of Tannoy Lancasters with 15 inch HPD drive units, lovely to listen to but grates on others in the house! Clearly leads run all over the place get on her pip. As my hearing is going south, I'm trying to set up a system which looks none Hifiy but still gives a reasonable sound. I'm hoping somebody on this forum have experienced the sound of and reliability of Bang and Olufsen older equipment, or manage to talk me out of this action.
Old 12th November 2023, 10:12 PM

I was looking for compact near field monitor loudspeakers for my workbench and came across a pair of tiny B&O CX100 aluminum cased loudspeakers for £30 in a local charity shop. (Each with two 4" drivers for main and LF and a small tweeter for HF.)
The foam surrounds for the four main drivers needed replacing ( about £30 for a DIY kit and not too difficult to replace) and I bought 2 pin DIN in-line sockets. These now give surprisingly clear mid range results for vocals, although very light in the bass. I think these need to be located in the corner of the room for better bass. I am now drawing my pension and no longer feel the need for seismic bass and high listening levels,
Old 13th November 2023, 09:21 PM

Thanks Stephen C.
I understand I can't have the Tannoy bass, and they seems to be an option.
Do they work well against a wall or are they room critical?

Has anybody else any comments or opinions on Bang and Olufsen amplifiers/receivers or associated equipment?

I know I'm asking this question on a valve orientated forum, but along the way we try all sorts of manufacturers before we arrive here.

Thanks in anticipation.
Peter
Old 14th November 2023, 09:13 AM

Hello Peter, your first post say's it all, B & O are not top notch but not bad, older kit may be in need of attention and how easy this is to resolve, I have no idea. You sound very much like myself in as much that your hearing is now not so good and you still want your records and CD, then consider Stax electrostatic ear speakers, yes they are a bit on the expensive side but, the sound you get will be exceptional, I have been using Stax since 1984, the SRM 006t energiser and the SR-L700 head set, if you can find a Stax dealer then please have a demo, I think you will be impressed. Bob
Old 14th November 2023, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hi peter/all
Welcome to the pension club Peter its not so bad really
Back in the day of Cassets tapes when I would record live mixes and demo tapes of our Band the fun days
They would be played back at the lead guitarist's house on his B/O system which was a Bang and Olufsen Beogram 1203 Turntable and Becmaster 901/tuner amp and b/o speakers but can't recall the model now too long ago
Of course, we didn't just play the band tape on his system there were lots of LED Zepplin and pink Floyd too

back then this system did sound fairly good but I always liked to go home and listen to my own system which was at that time an AR EB101 Turntable and Mission Cyrus one with Haybrokes HB ones and Aki GX.52 tape Deck I still have this tape deck and the AR EB101 Turntable of which is still in use today

Anyway I digress
you will still have the cable issues with the Becmaster 901/tuner amp unless you get or make a rack based on the Quad type as Richard suggested and there is the repair/restore of this amp to deal with so may not be the way to go but if you were to go down this route here is a YouTube vid on what to expect on a service/repair
https://youtu.be/ko_SE-xcyC0
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 14th November 2023, 10:10 PM

Thanks Bob I'll give the Stax some thought, but I'd rather continue along the BandO receiver route, but I haven't fully rejected your kind thoughts.

Colin, That video was spot on, as were your recollection of your system. That mirrored what my older brother had (including playing in a band).
The cable issues can not be fully resolved, but improved as we have bought good Nathan 1970s furniture (which is in keeping with the age of the bungalow) with a view to modifying to hid cables. Having downsized, i fully appreciate others who live here's wishes, so as long as the sound is reasonable good were both prepared to look at possibly something a bit "swish looking" like Bang and Olufsen produced. I have asked for the forums help as I don't want to end up with a lemon......then, what do I do with what I have already got!!