World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 19th November 2006, 10:37 AM

Default New forum catagories

Hi-can i make a suggestion as to some new forum catagories please,so that those interested can find them easily and those not interested can easily ignore them.

1 - Computer audio

2 - Guitar matters

3 - Off topic matters

can i also suggest that if an off topic matter is raised during ANY post that the poster links to "off topic" and starts a new thread.

I personally quite like reading about the above catagories and would still continue with interest but i feel they could be better served in separate locations.

Philip

Any other thoughts on this ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 19th November 2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: New forum catagories

I personally think the first two cat's are a great idea, but

Quote:
can i also suggest that if an off topic matter is raised during ANY post that the poster links to "off topic" and starts a new thread.
if thats the case then personally I would stop posting. Part of the pleasure if this BB is the meandering nature of the people on here, we can wander off topic, and then go back, or in wandering produce a more interesting topic. Inforcing this suggested control would kill it for me. If the wandering makes it harder to follow, and harder to find the answer to the original question, then I suggest that the poster needs to read harder, or purchase a text book on the subject.

Just my 2d's worth.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 19th November 2006, 11:47 AM

I'm with Nick on this one.

I've stopped bothering with a couple of forums that cried off topic everytime I meandered away... (not that I would stop posting here)

A lot that is posted is stream of conciousness and triggered by what is already in the topic - it loses context if split away each time...
Old 19th November 2006, 11:54 AM

Hi Nick /James

i do agree with your sentiments entirely but at times the "off topic" part takes over and the original thread gets lost,by which time its too late to start a new thread for the "off topic".

Thinking about it now,better to forget my suggestion 3.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 19th November 2006, 10:16 PM

Hi-perhaps we could use a separate section for off topic threads that dont crop up from an existing thread ? (ie the parking fine saga)

Philip

Old 20th November 2006, 05:44 PM

I like wandering off , I've been practising for years. I'm with you on this Nick!

lol

Ed
Old 20th November 2006, 05:48 PM

Staying focused on the subject is the hardest thing in the world..!!!

Esp at our age, we just have too much to say,

I mean, why do you think we come on here, cos the missus is sick of hearing such drivel.......
Old 21st November 2006, 11:43 PM
Lord.

I disagree with 'rules' regarding off-topic diversions, conversations aren't linear - it would be crass to try to enforce our online chats to be so.

I also disagree that guitar and computer stuff belongs on here, catering to the DIY hi-fi crowd is more than enough of a diversion for what is a manufacturer's forum site. If you want to post about guitars, politics, sport or computers find somewhere more suited than here, this site belongs to World-Designs primarily to support its business, not to the members to support their off-topic hobbies or interests.

I want less forums on here.
The For Sale and Wanted categories could be merged.
Membership Issues and BB Problems could be merged.
WAD General and WAD Problems could be merged.
The 'holding' forum containing all the WD Projects should be removed and the individual forums made directly accesible.

Hope that helps.
Old 22nd November 2006, 12:14 AM

Hi Lord (Matt)

whether we like it or not,it seems that computer audio is here to stay,and from conversations at Egg 4 it seems to be a very good medium for storing recorded music.
We have reports of CD and LP replay from hard disc that are as good (LP) or better (CD) than the original.

I for one want to know about these developments.

This site is all about audio but if you remove ALL but the core matter the site would loose its appeal for a great many of us.

If you count the posts,and content of those who like it as is you may see what i mean.

I am told that Peter regards the site as usefull to his products and our faultfinding skills save him a job !

So,apart from the off topic matters i stand by my original suggestions.

Philip

Old 22nd November 2006, 12:58 AM

I must admit to mostly agreeing with Matt. Personally, if I wanted info on computer audio I'd go to a computer forum. I have a Mac and all the forums I visit have categories set aside for audio matters. No doubt PC users are equally well catered for. As Matt says, we must not loose sight of the fact that this forum is primarily for WD and its associated products.

I am looking forward to the day when more people have built WD kits and start posting as a result with their experiences/problems. This type of post, in my opinion, is what made the old WAD site so interesting and informatve - compared with, dare I say it (?) some of the "chatroom" type contributions oft seen on this BB.

I shall now duck for cover!