World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

View Poll Results: Would you like a valve based DAC?
Yes, with multiple inputs. 29 60.42%
Yes, with only one input 16 33.33%
No 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th December 2007, 11:36 PM

Default Valve based Digital Analogue Converter

How about it?

I have 4 optical output sources, an iRiver (nonApple mp3 player), a CD player, a DVD player and an Apple Laptop. Having a valve based optical digital to analogue converter would be ideal (and even save on an upgrade of the CD player).

Tomtidswell
Old 8th December 2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Valve based Digital Analogue Converter

Hi-what about a valve buffer and DAC ? (as 2 separate components)

It has been said a valve buffer can give a CD player a more "analogue" sound and even improve the "drive" of a passive pre.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.

Last edited by pre65; 9th December 2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11th December 2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Hi-what about a valve buffer and DAC ? (as 2 separate components)

It has been said a valve buffer can give a CD player a more "analogue" sound and even improve the "drive" of a passive pre.

Philip
Hi Philip,

I've heard the same but surely all the added valve buffer can do is "alter" or mask what is going into it (?). I started to build my own DAC with valve output stage some time ago, but got hoplessly diverted in building the WD88 and Pre3/Phono3 etc, etc. However, that phase is coming to an end, and I'm looking to resurrect the DAC project.

I had baselined the Burr Brown PCM1704, being the last word in parallel multibit DAC technology. I got as far as getting the basic DAC functioning, but not the valve output stage. Since then, up-sampling techniques seem to have come along with some favourable reviews. The hybrid BB PCM1794 DAC also seems to have been widely accepted. The next challenge is then to have a properly integrated valve output stage in place of the traditional op-amps.

The point of this reply is that I would agree that a DAC kit would be really good to have, but "specing" it might be quite challenging. Some will want no oversampling, others will want bells and whistles.

Nick
Old 12th December 2007, 02:33 PM

Hi,
Why have an output stage???
I use a TDA1543 NOS DAC using 12 stacked chips. This provides plenty of output using passive I/V i.e. 2 resistors. This is connected straight to my amp input with no coupling capacitor (as the amp input uses one). I originally thought about a valve buffer, and with just 1 chip it would be necessary I think, but 12 chips does the trick perfectly. Virtually nothing in the signal path, no oversampling, no filtering = very good sound it seems. The DAC came as a modular kit and you can have as many multiples of 12 chips as you like. The more chips the greater the effective bitrate achieved.
Rob
Old 12th December 2007, 05:12 PM

Why use chips.... how about a fully valve dac? How hard could it be?=)

*That just proves my ignorance*
Old 4th January 2008, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: Valve based Digital Analogue Converter

I'd be interested for sure!

didn't HFW do avalve DAC years back - I seem to remember something along such lines - does anyone else remember this and better still have any details of what it was all about?

Cheers
Dave
Old 1st February 2008, 12:39 PM

I'm all for this. My AN DAC kit has always bettered any intergrated valve output CD player that I have tried in the past, (although I have not tried any of the newer entrants). The power supply, descrete component and valve options available together with an appropriate DAC that a new kit could consider and offer, should prove to be a very impressive performing unit.

What about including an AES/EBU input given the increasing number of US equipment supporting balanced digital outputs? Even my old modest Cambridge Audio DiscMagic transport has a balanced output and from the listening tests I did, this was preferred to the unbalanced RCA output, (possible because my AN DAC has switchable RCA and XLR inputs).

Although not of interest to me, AN DAC kit also has a USB input option.
Old 2nd February 2008, 09:13 AM

Robinhelen,
have you had a look at NOS DAC thread on diyaudio, fascinating and that Dutchman takes on board all suggestions. The intensity of investigating all possibilities is mind blowing. BTW he also sells a PCB which is supposed to be top class.
Old 11th February 2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
Robinhelen,
have you had a look at NOS DAC thread on diyaudio, fascinating and that Dutchman takes on board all suggestions. The intensity of investigating all possibilities is mind blowing. BTW he also sells a PCB which is supposed to be top class.
I heard the audio note NOS dacs in action; no harshness whatsoever and very lifelike, touchable sound. Now is that a trade mark of audio note but i can imagine that most NOS dacs share that common feature...

I also read that alot of people comming from multi sampling dacs/oversamplings dacs cannot go back once they took the step to go NOS.
The other side i hear is that NOS dacs might not as detailed as the oversampling/multi sampling dacs.

In the end, it's all about preference and taste.
Old 11th February 2008, 08:19 PM

Wink Re: Valve based Digital Analogue Converter

Hi all,

Just to add to the debate....I recently ordered a RAKK DAC-2 with passive output board. It uses the BB PCM1794 DAC with asynchronous upsampling - the modern school I believe? - and the opposite end of the spectrum to the NOS DACs with zero upsampling/reclocking (?).

I have to say it blows my old Meridian 606 DAC out of the water!, and I had thought that the 606 (coupled with the 602 transport) was pretty good. I'm told an active valve output stage will make things even better, but I can't stretch that far yet. However, all in all, the passive output RAKK DAC-2 has more "music", detail, etc than anything other than the best CD player I've heard to date which was/is the Krell Evolution 505 at ~ £9k at Oxford Audio Consultants in the the process of buying near speakers.

The RAKK DAC-2 has so far cost me ~ £350 (the current US Dollar rate really helps), and I'm chuffed to bits with it. It works really well with the Meridian 602 transport, but I suspect any other transports would be ok too due to the asynchronous upsampling.

Ok, I shall now keep my head down amidst the barrage of offended Forum readers that truly believe the NOS side is best.....

NickW