World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 18th July 2021, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default WAD phono 3S Parts Selection Help

Hi All
Just been checking in my parts box for the leftover parts from my WD Phono 2 build. As at the time I build it I ordered spares of the standard and odd value Resistor needed for the build such as the 316k/39.2k all of the resistors were of the Holco and takman 0.5watt types. Which fitted the old phono 2 board.

So I have just discovered the spare 0.5-watt resistors I have don’t fit the Phono 3S Board same applies to the large 8.2nf silver mica? Caps what a bummer
So will have to reorder from Hifi Collective or somewhere
My question is which type of resistors are you all using now in your builds. and the preferred replacements for the 8.2nf silver mica caps and parts numbers for them if pos thanks.
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 19th July 2021, 06:51 AM

Default Re: WAD phono 3S Parts Selection Help

Hi Colin, yes, the new board uses .25 watt resistors, I have some spare 8.2nF polystyrene to suit the board if you want them, and some 180 pF polystyrene if you are going to use the trimmer capacitors, I cant help with 220pF if you are not using the trimmers, just PM me with your address if you need the capacitors, by the way, Polystyrene is a better choice than Mica. Colin, I have also got 316K 330K 100K 150K 1K2 and 1K Bob.

Last edited by bob orbell; 19th July 2021 at 06:58 AM. Reason: More parts.
Old 19th July 2021, 08:45 AM

Colin, if you really want to make this Phono sing and I have, use Wima MKP4 2.2uF 400v 27.5mm pitch, Wima MKP10 .1uF 400v 15mm pitch, Charcroft Z-Foil resistors in R1/2,3/4,5/6,7/8, JJ ECC83 Gold pin valves and last but not least a fully regulated power supply, I had two friends round over the week end to have a listen and both were completely gob smacked . Bob
Old 19th July 2021, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Hi Colin, yes, the new board uses .25 watt resistors, I have some spare 8.2nF polystyrene to suit the board if you want them, and some 180 pF polystyrene if you are going to use the trimmer capacitors, I cant help with 220pF if you are not using the trimmers, just PM me with your address if you need the capacitors, by the way, Polystyrene is a better choice than Mica. Colin, I have also got 316K 330K 100K 150K 1K2 and 1K Bob.
Hi Bob
Thanks for your update sadly at the moment I can’t go with the Z-Foil resistors
The 316k/39.2k R11/12/13/14 all of these resistors I have are the holco 0.5 watt so what I was thinking I could do was to drill out the holes and mount the resistors higher up off the board out of the way of the other parts or underneath it
I have the correct PCB drills to do this with what do you think and thanks for the offer of the parts I will PM you my address a bit later
Thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 19th July 2021, 01:35 PM

Colin, if you are going to drill out the PCB holes, you MUST solder both sides as drilling will remove the electrical link between top and bottom tracks, but I hope you know this. Yes the Z-Foils were expensive, close to £140.00 for 8 resistors but it took the sound to another level. Thanks go to John Casswell for his advice on this. Bob
Old 19th July 2021, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Colin, if you are going to drill out the PCB holes, you MUST solder both sides as drilling will remove the electrical link between top and bottom tracks, but I hope you know this. Yes
Yes, I did bob drilling is just an idea. for now, I could just replace the 39.2k with the standard 39k it is just the 316k and 39.2k I have the problem with as odd values 0.25w are difficult to get now as the holco range are no more,
Colin

Old 19th July 2021, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Well my curiosity got the better of me and I just checked the holco resistors for their stated resistance the 316k is bang on and 39.2k is testing at 39.12k and both values have 0.5% tolerance stamped on them

And as a point of interest, I have a matched pair of 8.2pf 2% 600v RTE RelCap anyone have experience with these see the link below
http://www.soniccraft.com/product_in...f-600vdc-p-313
Colin

Old 19th July 2021, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Just as a reminder,
Don't forget that except for exceptional circumstances Matthew keeps all these items for phono III in stock at sensible prices.

John
Old 19th July 2021, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Just as a reminder,
Don't forget that except for exceptional circumstances Matthew keeps all these items for phono III in stock at sensible prices.

John
Hi John
Yes, I will be asking Matthew, for new 0.1uf and 2.2uf Soniqs SAX capacitors. as I was going to steal the phono2s parts but want to keep it running and I need a new Relay Board for the preamp as well
Colin

Old 28th July 2021, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

HI /all
Just a thought when I built the old phono2 I used 10uf polypropylene for the Decupling CapsC12/13 I think I will stay with the elect this time but
Before ordering the required parts for the phono 3 thought I would just check and see if anyone used a larger value for the Decupling Caps C13/14/15/16 or if it would be of any advantage to doing so What’s the verdict on this anyone
Colin