World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

View Poll Results: Evaluation kits - a good idea?
It's a great idea - I want to try it 23 44.23%
It's a good idea even if I wouldn't use it 29 55.77%
I like the idea but I don't like the method 0 0%
I don't think it will work 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th August 2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: World Design Kits Evaluation

Well in the spirit of what this board was set up for in the first place, I'm sure if you ask for members that live somwhere near you with the relevant kit, you'll get an invite to hear and compare/contrast yours with theirs.
Regards,Ali
Old 24th November 2007, 09:21 PM

I quite often but stuff for a look/see, especially TT Cartridges. In thae last 4 or 5 years I've probably bought 5 or 6 stereo cartridges to try out knowing that I'd end up popping them onto e-bay sometime soon.

I bought my KEL84 kit after seeing Kenny K's WAD kits at a bake off, hearing some other brand of valve ams at a bake off , and trusting reviews and comments posted on places like this very discussion forum.

I've not bought anything from my local Hi-Fi dealer for a few years now. They often used to sell me stuff on a sale or return basis though i.e. Do a demo in the shop , buy it and take it home and if i really found after a wek or two I just couldn't live with it , they'd give me a full refund on return. I had bought quite a bit of kit off them previous years though and was a semi-regular .

Having the option to try before you buy is something that would interest me greatly. Something like a KEL84 at 400 quid isn't so bad , but when you get up into the 700+ price bracket a little more carefull consideration is needed and so just having to pay carriage costs would be worth it for the personal experience. Especially as we all hear things differently.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:10 AM

I think it's an excellent idea - the only reason I went for "even though I wouldn't use it" is the shipping costs to/from Abu Dhabi! If I lived in UK I'd definitely go for this!

Also I think it would work well for WD - I suspect there are many who are afraid of the "leap of faith" involved in ordering blind who would order in a flash once they heard the WD amps.

Cheers
Dave