World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

View Poll Results: Can a £1300+ 25W Push-Pull 'flagship' valve kit float for World Designs?
Yes - I'd move heaven and earth to have a kit like this! 35 85.37%
No - it can't be worth the expense and the dangers of 565v HT can it? 2 4.88%
I only like SE valve amplifiers. 3 7.32%
Forget valves, 'digital' amplifiers are the future. 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st January 2006, 04:51 PM
Lord.

Default Re: A kit similar to the original WAD 300B Stereo PP?

Hi Richard (others),
If you could indicate what you would have liked as a polling category it would be good to know for the future.

Regarding 'flagship', the old WAD 300B PP was the most expensive early kit offered and is regarded by many as the best too (one of the discarded babies, like the big watted KEL80!). When a kit in a range is the most expensive and the one regarded most highly it is going to be viewed as a flagship no matter how it is marketed. The old PP was so aspirational that Greg and his posse bought it back from the dead!

I agree though that others have different tastes and requirements, e.g. many were happy with the sweet old KEL84 and many liked the qualities of the 6550 too. But a range is a range and the majority of punters will always see the most expensive amplifier as the one to aspire to.

As Nick said WAD did offer a 300B SE as a cheaper alternative to their own monoblock flagships, but they got too 'distracted' to sell any! Did anyone ever hear it?
(EDIT - Paul's comments about Mark seeming to know that an over performing 300B-SE could ruin sales of the pricier 300B-PSE are relevant. People expect better sound from a more expensive amplifier, especially if it uses the same valve!)

Last edited by Lord.; 1st January 2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 1st January 2006, 04:56 PM

No but Mark really liked it, was very surprised how good it was.
Old 1st January 2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mark killed off the Kit34 as sales had dwindled. He felt the Kit6550 was seen to be a better amp for a bit more money. I've heard both and would take the Kit34, others will disagree, but cutting the 34 instead of promoting it as an alternative sale was stupid.

So, WAD then didn't have an EL34PP amp or a 300BSE!! They chose to ignore probably the 2 best selling valve amps in the world.

I'm sure Peter will not dismiss the lessons of hindsight in a juvenille attempt to force any sort of hierarchy on a sophisticated market. That market is already established. If you do the job well you will get a share of it. To think you can change it to suit your own ideas is mistaken. Add to it by all means.

Rich
Old 1st January 2006, 05:38 PM

Having built a 300b SE I can't see a reason to trade up to a 300b PSE or PP,
the SE does everything I want,

there will always be people who feel 9 watts isn't enough and 25 is better
which I feel is the main reason why WAD went for the PP in the first place,

If you look at Glasshouse, he has never thought about a 300bPP and sells his SE quite well
I would rather see a 2A3 SE and a 300b SE a EL84 PP and a
6550/EL34 PP

Old 1st January 2006, 06:37 PM

I think there does need to be a hierarchy of sorts, its the most sensible way to organise things.

And the logical way is either by price inevitably, or power.

Also, there needs to be the availability of vavles, its ludicrous to offer something with rare unobtaniums too.

so for instance

lo power a 6v6 push pull and 2a3 single ended

medium, a 300b single ended

medium high, perhaps a kt88

high 4 el34s a la kel80?

perhaps a flagship 845 or 211 if the volts arent thought off putting, I think noel has big doubts.

also, no-one has mentioned russian 6c33?, in fact I will suggest this as a separate.
Old 1st January 2006, 07:53 PM

all this se300B talk
brings us back to
high sensitivity speakers

sorry

dave dove
Old 1st January 2006, 08:44 PM
Lord.

Wink Re: A kit similar to the original WAD 300B Stereo PP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave dove
all this se300B talk
brings us back to
high sensitivity speakers
sorry
dave dove
Aaah, but this is a thread about a 300B PP!
I'm guessing that you would vote for the 'SE' option above Dave?
The off topic SE stuff now has its own thread(s).

I think that Peter's comments about high-sensitivity 'conventional' loudspeakers in your thread have been quite informative.
Horns are another matter though...
Old 2nd January 2006, 10:06 AM

Re. the original 300B, I think Greg's comment about 'shed loads of R&D' says it all.

The WAD b/b saved WAD because all subsequent amps were under researched and it was people like Dr.John/Richard and many others who 'put right' WAD's mistakes.

I see that THL audio in Taiwan (an excellant co. for DIYers) are selling a new type of 300B which is more powerful than the norm. It's not a straight drop in but it's these new type of developments that that WD NEEDS to investigate.

The fact that Peter C has many years in hi-fi can actually work against him, if he does'nt have an open-ended way of looking at things.

The Italians and now the Chinese are showing that equipment does'nt have to have the boring anorak look. It is THE reason why so many women get turned off of sound rigs - simply because they are a bunch of rectangular boring ****e.

So whatever WD does make sure that it is built up to a standard - not down to price - if they, WD don't understand good aesthetics - admit it and bring in those that do. In fact it would be a good idea to put box shapes/colours to a panel of women - ask them. The standard ranges are OK if you are a single, woman hating, chain smoking anorak. I look at much of what the Italians/Chinese are doing and their presentation is excellent.

Don't use the minimum wattage resistors, the cheapest caps, the cheapest crappiest wiring. There are certain areas where WD can let the buyer choose whether they like PIOs/polyprops, their own choice of wiring etc.

Remember as Richard has said - forget what you want - what will make this new co. prosper - bringing into the fold younger and younger guys and they do want style - as do their female (mostly) partners.

Black Stuart
Old 2nd January 2006, 10:27 AM

I fitted a new boiler for a couple Saturday. When girlfriend came home husband proudly said what a great boiler it is. She said "why, is it pink?"
Old 2nd January 2006, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

he he - err - why was it pink? Third rule of pipes, if the inside diameter is larger than the outside it may leak.