World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 27th May 2008, 12:17 PM

Default Modern equivalent to a Marantz DLT-1?

Hello everyone,

After many years selling decent (?) ready made equipment and a few fallow years loitering on HiFi forums (ahem), I've become interested in building my own equipment, but have to start at the very bottom and wonder whether any of you could help this ignoramous with a hopefully simple project...

Some years ago, Marantz UK imported a handful of the above mentioned line transformer. It increased the gain a little, did a little bit of impedance matching I think and I liked what it did with a variety of sources, especially CD players of the period that seemed to spray loads of ultrasonics and RF into the signal leads. I sold it to someone I can't remember and it seems that it's gone forever...

I now have a need for a matching transformer (PLEASE correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree) to go with a Quad FM3 tuner I've gently breathed on (supply caps and a few other caps as recommended by someone I trust). The Quad has a highish output impedance and they recommended at least 50K input impedance on the amp to match it.

I know I could buy something like a Musical fidelity X10-D line buffer but don't wish to soften up an already compressed FM sound from a "safe" sounding tuner, which has improved markedly from the "tweaks."

I need something *simple* that can offer a high input impedance to satisfy the Quad, add a little gain to bring it up to modern levels and finally, offer a low output impedance to suit any preamp I connect it to, valve or solid state (many of the latter only have 10K or so as an input impedance)... Do WD do any components that will work?

Please can anyone offer an easy solution? My soldering skills aren't bad, but I'm way out of my comfort zone here and would like to have a go as a "first try."

Thanks in advance...
Old 27th May 2008, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Modern equivalent to a Marantz DLT-1?

interesting,

the only line txs that might satisfy you needs are the Altec Peerless range, I can't recommend a specific one, there must be one in the range to suit you, they appear on ebay quite often,

unfortunately WD don't do anything like it,

just another thought, these come highly recommended
http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_Audio_Buffer.htm

Last edited by david counter; 27th May 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 26th June 2008, 09:18 AM

there are millions out there, its at the edges of my knowledge, but try sowter, s&b, neutrik, di boxes allsorts....

I like the marketing..." our passion is for making money out of people, that's all we exist for, we also make up testimonials from people who don't exist, jb from london said....alex from australia said...." ad . inf. why doesn't some company just say that...I can see right through it.

the altecs don't step up/down they are 1:1 ratio 600:600 ohm

tasty avatar btw
Old 26th June 2008, 09:28 AM

Yes, it's called a WDPRE3.

Quite frankly a simple transformer isn't enough. A proper active preamp will do the job much better, as we constantly demonstrate to anyone who cares to listen.
Old 26th June 2008, 09:30 AM

hi peter, you need to hear a professional balancing transformer, its nigh inaudible in use and gives many advantages.

these tools and many others exist from 60 years of research and development in the professional audio arena where they cannot afford to have line matching problems, buzzes, earth loops, high frequency noise, signal loss, and audio/sonic degradation and distortion, they work out of the box, rarely go wrong, practically never if not mistreated/dropped, no dry joints, no valves to age and buzz.

pre3 probably is an alternative to a transformer vol. control, however, he is asking about line transformers, TVC's do give an interesting sound that is different, I wouldn't say better or worse just another choice.

however a professional line transformer is another kettle of fish and totally inaudible, and I would hazard more transparent than an active stage, and zero problems in use/long term

but for a preamp, pre3 is pretty good looking, not had the joy of hearing it tho., would like to

milllions of pounds and man hours went into this development, its all been done b4 the info is out there.