World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 9th May 2007, 02:35 PM

Default Leak Troughline II Decoder

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone has managed to listen to the various stereo decoders out there for the Leak Troughline. There appears to be a debate going on about the superiority of the One Thing decoder compared to the GT Audio. The figures indicate that the One Thing decoder is more sensitive hence less hiss(the main criticism)but does it sound better? Is the decoder necessary or does it sound great in mono? Also I know Tim de Paravicini developed one, but I'm not sure if it available. I was hoping this month's HI FI World would answer a few questions after mentioning last month they would run a review of the One Thing decoder. Unfortunately this just led to more debate in the letters section. If anyone could share their experience I would be grateful.
Old 9th May 2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Leak Troughline II Decoder

Greetings and welcome to the forum Searcher.....

I haven't had a listen to any of them, so can't really comment. However, several of the members have mentioned them in other postings. If you search for STEREO DECODER you should get about a dozen or so threads....

As to Hi-Fi world review/shootout, I was looking forward to reading it too. Same about David Price's rebuilt Technics SL1200 Garrard/lenco/Mitchell/Linn/Pioneer/JVC/Every other deck ever made, killer.....

ONE LOVE
Old 9th May 2007, 04:44 PM

Hi-what you want is one of these !

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decoder.jpg (50.5 KB, 94 views)

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 9th May 2007, 05:30 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!

Hi,

Have you checked out this site?

http://www.werple.net.au/~kiewavly/decoder.html

There are a couple of easy to make decoders and information on how to re-align the Troughline....They look simple and cheap to make and have good specs.

Rich.
Old 10th May 2007, 03:08 PM

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I have been searching the forums and also the web. Thanks for the photo Philip. I think I do want one of those. I understand the Tim de Paracini decoders were sold as kits some time back. I presume they are no longer available. Does anyone have a list of parts and instructions. I may have a go at building one despite my lack of electronic knowledge. Yikes!!

Thanks
Old 10th May 2007, 03:30 PM

Hi-i purchased it with a troughline 3 (seller would only sell both) and i use it with my troughline 2.I have never compared it with any other decoder but it seems OK to me.

I do believe it was a kit through Hi-Fi World but it must have been a long time ago.I think it predates the DIY supplements.

Philip

ps i now have one troughline 2 and 2 troughline 3 s !

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 10th May 2007, 03:46 PM

Hi Searcher.

I have a "Studio 12" decoder that I purchased from the manufacturer via eBay. I was a little disappointed with the build quality of the initial unit, but pleasantly surprised by the performance in comparison with both the TdP and "One Thing" decoder, that two friends own respectively. I could not discern the difference between my "Studio 12" or the "One Thing" after a couple of brief comparisons, but the valve based TdP decoder certainly seemed a little smoother and creamier to my ears. Maybe due to the valves.

I was more than happy with my "Studio 12" which I still use however, and so decided to improve the casing, coupling caps and power supply, which gave me a blacker background with less hiss during quiet passages. If I could afford (or find) a TdP decoder, I would certainly snap it up. Another BB member also generously gave me a valve based decoder from an old Japanese tuner (Pioneer IIRC) that I have yet to wire up and try. I would prefer a valve based decoder, and will therefore pursue this project when time permits. I hope this has been of some use to you.

Cheers,
Old 10th May 2007, 03:53 PM

there are a few tl decoders around, i think there is something called the stuido 60, too, it was a while, certainly the tdp, studio 12, one thing, and also emporium do one called the whitely which looks tasty, the tdp was a hybrid of ss and tube, and did feature concurrent with the supplements, but in an issue
Old 10th May 2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
I understand the Tim de Paracini decoders were sold as kits some time back. I presume they are no longer available. Does anyone have a list of parts and instructions.
Hi,

I think that the kit was discontinued some time ago, due to the obsolescence of the IC that was used. Doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't get one though, but might be difficult

Nigel.
Old 10th May 2007, 10:45 PM

Hi-i could not remember what was inside the case,so i had a look and there are ICs in the circuit !

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decoder 2.jpg (72.0 KB, 66 views)