World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 8th April 2010, 04:40 PM

Default Keyboards...???

I've just, with the onset of a Technics SL1210, re-discovered the original 'Dire Straits' by Dire Straits. OK, I know what's constantly said about them but this album is pre-keyboards and saxophone and any other kind of nonsense. Also OK, my copy is very old and needs replacing but as far as I know, a good vinyl reissue of this album does not exist. The second album 'Communique' is still available brand new on vinyl and is, in my very humble opinion, equally as good as the first but I think it's time for me to go out and find a really good copy of their first album. This first album is to me, rather damn fine. It has an excellent acoustic and some truly memorable guitar playing. All I need now to really make the most of it is my lusted after VPI Scout II with a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 8th April 2010, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Keyboards...???

Yes, great albums, those 2 are my favourites.

I've 3 copies of the first album all Vertigo UK 9102 021. Two say (half speed mastered) on the spine, an additional 1982 date on the sleeve back, and orange record labels. The other has just the original 1978 recording date and black/green label. Not sure whether all pressing went to half speed later on, as on that counting the half speed is more common. Anyway loads around the charitys, just pop in and say "I'll have one of tham thar Dire Straits make it a half speed please here's my 2 quid" and you should be fine, mostly pristine and unplayed but avoid the girly ones with make-up fingerprints and hairspray.... and the pet ones with more hairs than the cat... and the ones with a click on the long quiet intro, bugger, bit of a minefield really but great fun

Joe Jackson, now there's a talent that stands the test of time, still sounds fresh and bright, just bought Blaze of Glory and Big World double on mint vinyl from charity, quite rare that, bet it's the only one in the village, bliss...
Old 9th April 2010, 02:57 PM

Joe Jackson 'Look Sharp'...! Awful sound quality, stunning music.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 10th April 2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think the sound is part of the effect on that fringe-punk album, tight and focussed, almost mono on most of the tracks, but terrific recording quality punchy deep and resonant. Yes, his later stuff moves on and is perhaps more "hifi"...