Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 7th September 2008, 04:45 PM
graeme

Default Led zeppelin III

Anyone own it? On cd or lp.

Im guessing alot of you do.

What does your system make of 'hats of to roy harper', last track on the album.

mainly wondering if it causes you treble issues.

Always used to for me but i seem to have cracked it now. Just wondered if ive solved an issue that should never have even been an issue in the first place.

My copy is the origional plum and orange label LP, if anyone has that issue i'd be particularly interested to hear your views.

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Led zeppelin III

Got III on cd, only got II on vinyl again so far. That track sounds fine, good frequency balance, very similar to the first couple of mins of bring it on home (last track of II). Similar voice on right speaker, guitar on left, simple stereo. Voice is somewhat distant (hand-cupped mike?) and slurred but not really sibilant. Perhaps it could sound a bit like mis-tracking on vinyl.

Rich
Old 7th September 2008, 10:32 PM
graeme

Ok, so the CD is ok then, anyone got it on vinyl, especialy the orange/plum label?
Old 7th September 2008, 11:56 PM

Zep III on plum Atlantic label

I've got it on CD & vinyl (not plum label).

CD version off squeezebox is raw but balanced.
From memory the vinyl is very raw.

I was surprised at how close the remastered CD's sound compared to the original vinyl (Zep II in my case).

Chris

You can't take it with you when you go !
Old 8th September 2008, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Later last night I cued up an original A1/B3 vinyl of II with the cd from about 10 years back (says digitally remastered by Jimmy Page and George Marino on it) for a comparison switching between each whilst playing.

My vinyl and cd players often give a similar balance on many recordings. The vinyl tends to be a little fuller in the mids and sometimes, on the best recordings, has a little more ambience.

Anyway, the cd of II is brighter sounding and almost falsely more dynamic in some places. Put the other way round, the vinyl is noticably duller. More so than many other comparisons. The results favour cd on some tracks (like Moby Dick where the dynamics and resolution of the drumming is more lifelike) and vinyl on others (like Bring it on home where the cd balance is too bright throwing treble out and losing atmosphere). The cd does sound remixed to me and not like the Zep I remember when an SP25MkIII and Party 7 cans were simple pleasures

I II and III cds are all remasters. IV doesn't say on it that I can see. I've never been comfortable with any of these though and results like this were one of the reasons I've taken up with vinyl again for some stuff.

Rich
Old 8th September 2008, 01:25 PM

I bought this album on vinyl fairly recently - a classic records re-issue 200gm pressing, cost me the earth - especially taking account of postage from the states (could'nt find a copy in europe) and import duty.
Would i do it again, at over a hundred quid - definately not.
The sound is excellant though as is my led zepp 1 (also a 200gm classic re-issue) but not worth the ridiculous cost in my opinion.
Can't say i've noticed any problems with mis-tracking etc, sounds fine on all tracks which is just as well at the price.
Still (I.M.O) the best seventies rock band, but original vinyl is probably the best way to hear them.
Old 8th September 2008, 02:51 PM
graeme

The origional sure is lovely. Sounds great. Been playing with VTA and VTF and all is well.

It doesnt cause me any issues any more.

Just wondered if the origional pressing always gives problems or if my new arm and plinth design has rectified a fundamental problem in the old design.
Old 8th September 2008, 05:59 PM

Hi there.

Bought this album new on vinyl back in late 70's. Never had a problem with the track in question, or any of the other tracks for that matter. I've been through various tt/arm/cartridge set-ups and that particular track has always sounded fine.

III is my fave Zep album and I use it to try out any changes to my hifi. 'Meddle' by 'Pink Floyd' is another 'test record'.

Have you by chance cleaned your copy? My copy of 'Doremi...' by 'Hawkwind' also bought new in the 70's sounded dreadful on the last track until I cleaned it.

Mike
Old 8th September 2008, 06:09 PM
graeme

Only basically cleaned.

Maybe my previous arms just werent up to it. Maybe it was my previous carts?

Who knows.

I spent ages trying to sort out a nasty noise on an aphex twin record (i know, some will say its all nasty noise!). Spent ages trying different set ups, even bought another copy of the record.

In the end i took it to a local hi fi shop and got them to paly it on the best sytem they had and it turns out its in the recording or pressing!
Old 8th September 2008, 11:38 PM

I have III on vinyl, bought new about 18-20 years ago, orange/green Atlantic label. Sounds fine, vocals on that track sound like they were recorded with one of those old Shure Bullet mics but I'm assuming it's supposed to!

Phil.