World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 17th October 2006, 08:14 AM
stevef

Default WD88VA vs. KiT6550 - any experiences?

Hi all,

Having read the articles in HiFi World I'm very tempted to order a WD88VA as a project for this winter.... I've softened the missus up and she's agreeing (with a suggestion that I may sell one off.... a bridge to cross later...). I had planned to get a PRE II (I bought the PSU II and Phono II but not the PRE II !!!) and 300B MB's prior to the demise of WAD but ah too late! Anyway life continues!

Unfortunately I couldn't make the LHR hifi show in Sept - enjoying the sun in Spain.... - so haven't seen/heard the WD88VA.

I currently run my KiT6550 with EH KT88's and have done the Blackgate and coupling caps (Auricaps - which I really liked the impact of..) upgrades and I'm v. happy with the sound. Has anyone had chance to comparisons of the WD88VA with any of the WAD kit? Do WD have a loan WD88VA for demo purposes?

Steve
Old 17th October 2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: WD88VA vs. KiT6550 - any experiences?

Well I think I've expressed my views on the WD88VA elsewhere, but as not many have heard it as yet spose it's ok to repeat.

I have heard several Wad6550's over time and honestly could take them or leave them. Don't really do it for me personally.

Now the WD88VA is a totally different ball game. You really need to hear one, or bite the bullet and take the plunge.
I'm seriously considering one, and that if you know me is really saying something.

Darren

Last edited by Darren D; 17th October 2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 17th October 2006, 08:34 PM
stevef

Thanks Darren - I'll look for your comments in the threads but what is it that you feels is te main improvement over the KiT6550 which I think is really good anyway?

Steve
Old 18th October 2006, 09:29 AM

Hi Stevef,

It's always difficult to put sound into words, but I'll try..

The WAD6550 is a good amp, but there are lots of good amps out there, and to be fair I've never heard one with a Slatedeck front end or the WD floorstanders so it's not really a fair comparrison.

On the other hand I have heard a few WAD6550's with good front ends and quite a few different speakers, including mine in my own home with all the familier equipment.

Every time had the same result, it didn't insire me to want one.

The WD88VA on the other hand, was different in the fact that the first time I heard it I took to it imediatley. Even after four days with many hours of listening and with a whole range of music, I was still impressed.

Why, well because it had dynamics, slam, delicacy and it made me move...!!

I normally sit fairly still when listening to music as I like to listen to it. This darn 88 amp made me tap my foot, slap my thighs to the rhythm. I had a hard time sitting still.

In essence, I thoroughly enjoyed those few days of listening.

Like my set-up at home, one can have a totally enjoyable and accurate sonic presentation. Or you can have one that makes you want to dance whilst still being true in reproduction.

I'm left feeling that I would like one for myself.....and I can build almost anything given the time. But sometimes I wonder if a Kit just wouldn't be a whole lot easier and cheaper.

Last edited by Darren D; 18th October 2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 19th October 2006, 09:12 AM
stevef

Darren

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me - very helpful and it makes me think that this will be my next project... especially as I think I've softened my wife up to the idea.... better than gambling dear...

Steve