World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 17th April 2022, 10:38 PM

Default KEL84 hum when source plugged in?

Hi Evereone, new member here, II have a diy kel84 already made that i purchased that works well and is silent untol a source is plugged in then i get a low hum that gets louder as volume incrrases, dosent matter if its a cd, phono stage or rca to jack to plug my phone in to stream? ook a chance on a tube amp of ebay that was very cheap as it looked like a kel84 but in a granite plinth? When it arrived ( it weighed a ton becawhen i got it I use the top was granite on a thick welded steel chassis) I flipped her over and it was a kel84! but they had used the kel84 transformers but not the circuit board! There made it with 2 separate point to point boards, one for each channel, quite messy but quality components used. Can anyone offer any help please?
Many thanks Phill
Old 17th April 2022, 11:01 PM

Default Re: KEL84 hum when source plugged in?

Photos are always useful.
A quick test, plug in a couple of shorting plugs into the inputs and turn the wick up.
If you get no background hum then its possible that the build was ok to begin with.
If you get Hum then you've got an internal earth routing issue, this is not uncommon even amongst experienced builders at times.

Theres a possibility theres a hum loop and it's worth checking if the signal ground is "Lifted" above the chassis safety ground which on a power amp should be connected to mains safety earth.
This is usually in the form of a resistor from chassis to the amplifiers main circuit earth and usually around 10 ohms. Other methods exist such as a pair of back to back parallel wired diodes which effectively insulate signal ground from mains earth until a PD of 0.6V or more occurs across them, such as if a fault condition happens. theres often a high voltage capacitor of around 100nF wired in parallel too.

Anyway some photos would help to begin with.

andy
Old 18th April 2022, 09:17 AM

Many thanks Andy, hopefully I have uploaded photos correctly, looks like a 10ohm resistor with a .1uf safety cap has already been fitted to the ground for the boards. I tried with shorting plugs and no hum,plug anything else in and still hum? Many thanks in advance for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220418_083229.jpg (161.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20220418_083202.jpg (157.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 18th April 2022, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

The fact that the hum gets louder when the vol control is turned up usually means the the screening of the input cables or the layout is at fault, ie heater cable near input grids and the like.
Disconnect the input to the volume control and see if the hum is still there when turned up, that may help isolate the area.

John
Old 18th April 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
The fact that the hum gets louder when the vol control is turned up usually means the the screening of the input cables or the layout is at fault, ie heater cable near input grids and the like.
Disconnect the input to the volume control and see if the hum is still there when turned up, that may help isolate the area.

John
Hi John, I don't get any hum when nothing is plugged in, ots totally silent, so I'm not getting any interference in the wiring from the rca sockets, it's only when I plug something in.!
Old 18th April 2022, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Phill and welcome,

Check the signal ground is actually 10R away from chassis earth using a meter as often signal ground is unintentionally being shorted out by RCA socket shells etc.