World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 31st July 2022, 01:29 PM

Default 300B PSE Loss of Volume, Bass, and distortion

During the first lockdown, I undertook a full ‘nut and bolt’ restoration of a pair of WAD 300B PSE that had been waiting patiently in my workshop for about seven years. The rebuild went well and, apart from some minor issues, which were quickly sorted, with one of the amps when first switched on, I was very pleased with the final result and immensely impressed by the sound. I didn’t manage to hit the hum level quoted in the literature with no feedback (4mV), the best I could manage was 7.6mV, but it isn’t intrusive, and is perfectly acceptable for my listening. Both amps ran perfectly for a year or so, but now one has started to misbehave…

The fault manifests itself as a drop in volume, lack of bass, and an occasional tendency to distort. At first, this occurred after the amp had been on for about 30 mins, but more recently the fault manifests itself at switch-on, which sometimes 'clears itself' and produces full volume, which can be, er, ‘surprising’ to say the least!

I have checked the voltages of both amps: they are similar and in accordance with the instruction manual - certainly well within the quoted 15% tolerance. I have successively swapped the valves with the good amp, switched input cables, switched output cables, inspected, measured and tested various critical components (which resulted in changing C3 and C6 in both amps), but all to no avail. I am now at a loss at what to try next, and any suggestions from more experienced engineers who might have encountered a similar problem would be most welcome.

Many thanks.
Old 31st July 2022, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 300B PSE Loss of Volume, Bass, and distortion

Hi David,
Well initially you have done all the things that I would suggest. Soo.. it may be a dry joint, quite where I wouldn't like to guess, so as a beginning I suggest that you look at all the joints but especially the ones where you have replaced components, and any that look suspect re-solder.
Do you have an oscilloscope and audio generator for testing purposes?

John
Old 31st July 2022, 04:30 PM

I am sure others will come in with advice, but I am sure it would help them to know whether the voltages were measured while the amp was "behaving" or "misbehaving".
Questions that jump to mind are:
Are all the heaters lighting up the same when both behaving and misbehaving?
Have you cleaned the valve pins/sockets, given the years in storage?

Just noticed John has answered since I started writing - listen to him, not me !

Alastair

My thinking behind this: Something could be pushing a valve outside its operating area (think of the graph of volts/current) to give lack of amplification and distortion. Reminiscent of when I built mine, not understanding what heater CT meant (common tap) so I was running two heaters in series which should have been in parallel, so the valve was not emitting enough electrons - lack of gain and distortion, wrong current so wrong voltages. Listen to John. This just about exhausts my fund of repair experience.

Last edited by A Stuart; 31st July 2022 at 05:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 31st July 2022, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Ali wrote
"Just noticed John has answered since I started writing - listen to him, not me !."

Rubbish, listen to everyone you never know!

John
Old 31st July 2022, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi David,

I'd suspect mechanical things first, 6AU6 pins and sockets especially oxidised NOS ones seem prone to poor connection and noise, then feedback switch try bypassing it, and humbucker perhaps a better quality one.

Then coupling caps C2 especially if they are paper swap for high voltage plastic film.

Check the earth points, a poor connection may cause varying gain via the feedback loop or a cathode connection.

On the PSU side high voltage electrolytics C7/8 will take hammer, and the choke, I've had one go intermittently short turns which happened when it became warm, the circuit suggests the choke should measure around 55R see if it changes.
Old 1st August 2022, 08:54 AM

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions. I will work through them systematically, and report back.
Regards,
David
Old 1st August 2022, 05:35 PM

Dave,

John has pointed to possible dry joints and others have pointed to something mechanical. I find dry joints hard to spot visually. You could try gently and methodically prodding all the mechanical and soldered joints and components with the end of a chopstick with the equipment on (and I suggest with your other hand in your pocket !) and see if you get an intermittent connection. Gently deflecting pcbs to check for cracked tracks and bad joints can also be helpful, but I guess your amps are all point-to-point wiring.

Mark