World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 28th August 2007, 05:22 PM

Smile Hameg Scopes

Hi all

Has any one had any dealings with Hameg scopes, namely a model 512 or any other model as to there reliability and spares etc.

Cheers Acorn
Old 28th August 2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Hameg Scopes

I have one... works well

its a HM 103 ..

they are quite common from what i gather, and used in schools and industry

spares...

they are so cheap to pick up why worry..

steve
Old 3rd September 2007, 02:03 PM

I have a HM203-5 (2 channel 20MHz) which I've been using regularly for over 20 years now.
It still has the original CRT. I never had serious problems with it. The only problem I've had were three 750k resistor in the HV supply that went bad causing a higher HV than usual this reduced sensitivity a little but didn't caused any damage. This problem was easily fixed because Hameg supplied the circuit diagrams and service information with the scope when I bought it.
Most of the electronic components are standard leaded versions that are still available.

Corne
Old 3rd September 2007, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Acorn,

I too have a HM103 like Steve and find it great for audio. It's tiny, half the size of most, single channel 10Meg. Bought it second hand with a declared fault.

The 203s are good too, full size with 2 channels. If you can get one with the manual then the circuit is all there with description of parts and set-up procedure etc, a really excellent manual.

Some common failure parts are socketed onto the pcb instead of soldered which shows sensible design rather than any shortcoming in reliability. I changed a couple of these cheap transistors and it worked fine. In the process I did speak with Hameg (down Luton way?) who were most helpful. They said that if I couldn't get it going a service with recal was £90 plus any parts needed which I think is pretty good these days.

Just had a quick look on the web and 512 sems to be a 1970's model so maybe don't pay too much for it, bit of a resume here.

Last edited by Richard; 3rd September 2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add link
Old 5th September 2007, 03:06 PM

Smile Re: Hameg Scopes

Thanks for that info Lads , food for thought the Hamegs seem to carrry a good repution but were rather pricy when new I believe, that the 512 was about
£ 700 new.

Acorn
Old 28th November 2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Acorn,

I too have a HM103 like Steve and find it great for audio. It's tiny, half the size of most, single channel 10Meg. Bought it second hand with a declared fault.

The 203s are good too, full size with 2 channels. If you can get one with the manual then the circuit is all there with description of parts and set-up procedure etc, a really excellent manual.

Some common failure parts are socketed onto the pcb instead of soldered which shows sensible design rather than any shortcoming in reliability. I changed a couple of these cheap transistors and it worked fine. In the process I did speak with Hameg (down Luton way?) who were most helpful. They said that if I couldn't get it going a service with recal was £90 plus any parts needed which I think is pretty good these days.

Just had a quick look on the web and 512 sems to be a 1970's model so maybe don't pay too much for it, bit of a resume here.
That's nice to know....I've just sent a cheque off for a 203-7 at a very attractive price!

Cheers,
Mike.

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.