World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 27th August 2006, 01:31 PM

Default dvd sound quality - Walk the Line

I saw Walk the Line, pre-release, at 20th Century Fox in Soho earlier in the year. I was struck by the sound quality, assuming it to result from a combination of using original instruments from the period (I've not been able to find out if period recording techniques were also used) and the quality of the cinema's own equipment.

Last night I played the DVD at home (with sound via the hi-fi system) and the same quality was there. Bass in particular was full, rich, and way better than I've ever heard. Does anyone know whether DVD films carry a DVD audio signalor whether you need a DVD-A for that? Or, is the CD sound-track as good?

Adrian
Old 27th August 2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: dvd sound quality - Walk the Line

It usually tells you on the DVD package what sound formats are available and all the ones I've seen a have Dolby digital and if your lucky DTS which normaly sound better but of course you need the correct decoders (most surround amps can handle them all) DVDA is a seperate audio format that usually has still photo's and some times the lyrics on screen it also carries a DD layer so it can be used with an ordinary DVD player.

DVDA and SACD both seem to be dead formats with very little new material coming out and most of what has been released have been from the back catalogues at exobitant prices and not using the full potential of either format.