World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 19th April 2013, 10:47 AM

Default Fountek Neo CD 3.0 Treble speakers as super tweeters

Advice sought?

Still pondering on the thought of potential improvements in the mid /upper regions with a super-tweeter?

Love to know if anyone has tried these or similar quality units and whether they kept them in the system or tried and found them a fad or otherwise?

Any thoughts appreciated as the idea fascinates but not sure if it is a waste of time and money or not.

Because of my age if nothing else my hearing I am sure will not reach to anything like 20K - My mind eye is imagining more of lower harmonic infills.

Also Please I will welcome any advice with crossovers.
Old 19th April 2013, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Fountek Neo CD 3.0 Treble speakers as super tweeters

Hello,

I have a pair of Townshend Super-tweeters and they do improve the sound. The effect is subtle though, they don't make the sound brighter, but they do make the sound bigger and more 3 dimensional with an overall gain in clarity. I got mine half price (Ģ400) and even at that I would say the value for money was marginal.

If mine somehow disappeared I would not spend that money again but I might have a play with something like those Founteks.

Regards, Phil.
Old 21st April 2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks Phil

This help to put things in perspective - There is a subtle improvement but not a night and day change them - Hmmm !

Still thinking about this - Perhaps if I could get hold of some of the Fountek Neo 3s at a reasonable price then? Is there only one supplier selling these new?

Thanks again

Rod
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:58 AM

Rod, all I can say is be carefull, I used a pair of Monitor Audio PL100 speakers (Ģ2300.00) for just over two and a half years, these have fontek ribbon tweeters, made to MA speac. for a start they were very good so much detail but the brightness over time became intolerable, I changed cables, valves, components in both pre. and power amps and more, in the finish I bought a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary speakers (Ģ450.00) magic. BOB
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:26 AM

Hello Bob,
no offence meant but I am not sure how relevant your comments are as we are discussing using them as super-tweeters, not standard tweeters. Also, Rod would be building his own crossovers so can adjust them to give any output level he wants.
Did you consider tweaking the x-over in your Monitor Audios to bring the level of the tweeters down a bit or was it more of a "sting" in the treble that was innate to the sound ?

I remember a review in HiFi World some time back, of a pair of speakers with ribbon tweeters (can't remember which ones). The reviewer commented that many of the speakers he had heard with a ribbon tweeter had great treble but were voiced very bright. He was of the opinion that the designers (sales dept ?) had forgone neutrality to "show off" their fancy new ribbon drivers.

Regards, Phil.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:44 PM

Hi Phil, I think you have got it spot on, too many speaker manufactures do voice their speakers to impress on first listen, I also tried other speakers with ribbons to see if it gave me a sound to my liking, and they all were too bright for me. I did play with the crossovers, but never got a nice natural sound. These little Wharfdales, I now use realy do sound more natural, not just to me , but to my chums also, I do think that you can push the ballance of a music system over the top, very easily. BOB
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the input

Well that settles it then - I really am listening to both of you and feel that I may sit on the fence for a long while if not forever with this.

I do understand and echo your sentiments exactly with the analogy!

I would rather take a long journey on a Mercedes limousine than an open twitchy Cateram 7 - Both vehicles do what they were designed to but my preference is for the unstressed comfort of the cushioned Limo

Thanks again for your views.

Rod.
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:16 PM

Petercom wrote somewhere ( I think it was a Hi-Fi World follow up to the WD20 build) about the use of Fountek supertweeters with the WD20T to help the concentric driver tweeters they use which for some people can seem a bit laid back - I seem to remember him saying that itīs a very personal thing and some would love them while others wouldnīt notice them. I copied the info along with the circuit somewhere but now canīt seem to find it. Typical.

Found it. Itīs a pdf file so if you want it, send me a PM with your email īcos I donīt know how to post it here.

He called it the WDXRS and I think it was once available as a kit on here.

Last edited by VantheMan; 22nd April 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:59 AM

Thanks Chris

The information in the e-Mail was received yesterday.

I am now travelling to Europe on Business and will not be able to open the PDF until I return at the end of the week.

Most grateful for your help.

Rod
Old 27th April 2013, 07:58 AM

Hi Chris

have sent private mail with thanks.

How are the new WD25T's settling in ?

Best regards

Rod