World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 26th June 2008, 12:37 AM

Default Claritycap mr

Question for Peter:
Are you planning to sell the new ClarityCap MR range?
Cheers
Max
Old 26th June 2008, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Claritycap mr

Yes, we are, once we have finished testing and refining these new caps.

As you may have noticed we supply our own tested and tweaked versions of the ClarityCap range manufactured to our own eXacting standards. So our version will be the SONIQS MRX.

In fact we will be expanding the SONIQS range of components for our new catalog at www.soniqs.co.uk which will go live by the end of July. The SONIQS MRX will be added as soon as production starts in August.

In the meantime anyone who is interested in the physical factors that make capacitors sound different can read a white paper here. Interestingly, and unintentionally, this paper also indicates why we all like Paper In Oil capacitors so much!
Old 27th June 2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Very interesting Peter - but I don't like Paper in Oil capacitors!

I see what you mean though - I liked them when I first tried them but after a while found they were too coloured and went back to plastic.

So, (charge/discharge) resonance causes these capacitor "flavours". At one point it mentions several octaves being covered by a single driver (presumably relating to the caps use in a speaker xover). I'd extend that to even more octaves being covered (hence bigger difference) when the capacitor is used as a full range coupling cap such as in an amp.

I've long felt that some caps are quite tolerable in limited bandwidth applications such as xovers but were not good as full band coupling caps. Many polyprops fall into that class for me - but - I have been impressed by the Soniqs polyprops recently used in WD3 having now swapped some out for a listen. They are very even-handed and do not have the usual top end tiz of polyprop - more like a higher resolution version of polyester.

This is a bit strange on first hearing, there is more detail but not the tiz that I keep expecting to accompany it. It also makes me realise that I'd become used to - and expected - some colourations.

I understand these are existing Soniqs caps and new ones will be different but feel many of the properties described in that white paper are audible in the existing ones. It will be very interesting to try the new ones

Rich
Old 30th June 2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks Peter
Like Richard I am looking forward to trying these.
Old 18th November 2008, 10:10 PM

Err.... anybody any idea what has happened to these? Perhaps some problem with manufacturing delays at ICW? Does anybody know if they are in production yet?

Steve Grimshaw
Old 26th November 2008, 01:49 PM
PaulDodds

Thumbs up Re: Claritycap mr

Hi Steve,

Yes, both the MR and ESA have been in production at ICW since May this year.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Paul Dodds
Senior Engineer, ClarityCap
Old 1st January 2009, 06:40 PM

I found this posted on another forum. Very interesting stuff=)
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2008/...-sound-better/
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:37 AM

Interesting Dick.
An old radio ham told me a few years ago, when i was thinking of using some old air core ajustable caps ( as used in old radios)in a phono, that the plates vibrated in use due to the magnetics varying with the signal.
interesting that it is voltage rather than current..
He suggested i find some of the older solidly built heavy brass types

steve
Old 2nd January 2009, 03:17 PM
NickB

Hi Guys

Have any of you seen the price for the ClarityCap MR's - eyewatering doesn't come close I am afraid.

http://www.capsandcoils.com/shop/cap...ge-c-1_56.html

Cheers

Nick
Old 2nd January 2009, 04:31 PM

Fascinating video Dick, particularly what Paul was saying at the end re subjecting a cap to a high spl from a loudspeaker pointed directly at the capacitor and still being unable to detect any measurable difference in performance. Those of us who have been placing the crossovers outside our loudspeakers appear to have been misguided. It is the cap itself which is singing along with the music signal passing through it and this effect can be measured or even heard at very high voltages as music coming from the capacitor acting as a crude kind of electrostatic speaker! As for the price; well I guess the company will charge whatever the market will stand which as we all know in the case of hi fi means sky high pricing

Steve Grimshaw