World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 9th April 2017, 08:20 AM

Default KLS 3 vs KLS 6

I have been looking into having a alternative set of speakers to use as a everyday speaker to my quad esl 57 and replace my Tannoy m2.5 speakers.
The Tannoys are showing their failings when replaying vinyl. CD don't seem to trip them up," to my ears that is".
I intend on making a Open baffle sub woofer to get a feel for OB,s. and experiment with.
I have seen the KLS 3 and KLS 6, they seem to be closely related speakers, in terms of construction and drivers.
Which one of these have proved themselves to be the better model over the years. As the KLS 3 becomes available occasionally at a reasonable cost.
I have not seen any KLS 6 for sale.

John
Old 10th April 2017, 07:43 AM

Default Re: KLS 3 vs KLS 6

Hi John, just a small correction, the speakers you mention, are World Audio Design, not World Design. BOB
Old 11th April 2017, 08:38 AM
WD Archivist

I've not tried it myself but I am told and have widely read that getting any kind of sub-woofer to integrate with any other kind of speaker is fraught with difficulty and most who have tried it, particularly music lovers give up on it. They may well work for cinematic sound effects but that's about it. For music you would be much better looking for speakers that are designed to operate as widely as possible across the audible range. If you are contemplating baffles, a full baffle multi driver system can work very well, but they will be large with little or no WAF. To get that low bass you will need to think in terms of two 12" drivers per baffle as a minimum.

Although KLS3 and KLS6 have identical external cabinet dimensions, apart from the bass driver cutout and the reflex ports, that is where the similarity ends. KLS3 went through a significant developed process by WAD and were by far the more popular so, as you say, they occasionally become available to buy. I have only ever seen one pair of KLS6 for sale secondhand. They were built by a capable friend of mine who could never get them to sound right, probably something to do with the open 'U' baffle midrange part of the design. Furthermore, they used (as did later KLS3's) the Audax HD-3P piezo electric gold dome tweeter. These had gas pressurised diaphragms which became leaky causing failure. They are no longer made and are now unobtainable. Replacement tweeters could be used but a crossover redesign would be required.

If you can find a pair of KLS3's to buy, they are well worth having although contemplate the need to do a bit of work on them to get performance right. IME, there are several sets around which were never built to optimise their best performance. This will likely be about attention to the mid and bass chambers tuning and damping. Don't be put off if you find some with the gold tweeters as these can readily and affordably be replaced (see the FAQ section of this forum).

I have two pairs of KLS3 speakers and my second pair will be brought, I hope, into use in the next couple of months. The Mk1 pair I am currently using will then be offered for sale. Should you be interested, please PM me your contact details and we can discuss.
Old 13th April 2017, 03:33 PM
WD Archivist

I don't understand people who pose a question on a public forum and then don't sign back in to see if anyone has responded to that question. Que? What is point?

Last edited by Greg.; 13th April 2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 13th April 2017, 06:14 PM

Just what I have been saying for a long time concerning some members Greg, .
Old 13th April 2017, 09:30 PM

A pair of speakers have been purchased, they have the same drivers as KlS3 and a external mounted cross over.
Picking them up on Good Friday.