World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 28th July 2011, 09:59 PM

Default Just bought the new Elbow (double) album -it's a 45. My Linn doesn't play 45's.

Old 29th July 2011, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Just bought the new Elbow (double) album -it's a 45. My Linn doesn't play 45's.

This is very rude of me, but count your blessings. The new Elbow has to be the most boring album in my entire collection. I haven't managed to play it all the way through yet, and I loved the previous ones.

Your Linn will play 45s (I think) if you buy one of these.

http://www.russandrews.com/product-L...aptor-7510.htm

Guy
Old 29th July 2011, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Just bought the new Elbow (double) album -it's a 45. My Linn doesn't play 45's.

HaHa! (I would've written 'lol' but I'm not sure it's acceptable protocol on this forum!), every cloud eh?
Thanks for the tip(s) anyway Guy. Perhaps it's time I moved on into the 20th century with a 45 adaptor!
Maybe I should move into the 19th century and try a 78 adpator if the LP's as dull as you say.
Old 29th July 2011, 06:10 PM

I love the new one but they are probably my favourite band. I like all of their albums and have them all on vinyl. The new one reminds me a little of their first one, "asleep in the back".
The new one plays fine on my Lenco, cutting edge technology has its advantages.

Phil.

Last edited by Phil Y; 29th July 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:45 PM

Yes, saw them again at Glastonbury this year. One of the highlights of the weekend IMHO.
Old 30th July 2011, 01:30 PM

Just in case any Linn users are Foo Fighters fans, Their latest album "wasting light" is a double/45rpm as well. Maybe it is the "latest thing" to do it that way.

Phil.
Old 6th August 2011, 11:22 PM

Well the upshot is, although I talked about moving into the 19th or 20th century to find improvements to my Linn, I've decided to stay in the present and buy a MOSE Hercules II unit as I assume it's cheaper than a time machine - even if I did manage to find one on eBay!

A big thanks to those who posted on this thread.

Arthur
Old 7th August 2011, 07:46 AM

Hi Arthur, wise decision, I too am a LP12 fan and have a lingo power supply with mine, I hear from other's that the Hercules is just as good. What arm are you using? and dose your LP12 have any upgrades?. BOB
Old 7th August 2011, 10:10 PM

Hi Bob

Yes I've read some decent things about the MOSE Hercules and these combined with the relatively reasonable cost swayed it.
I have an Origin Live Silver v3 fitted with an Ortofon Rondo Bronze at the moment which I fitted myself. I must admit I wasn't entirely comfortable doing this what with the delicacy of the stylus, bearings and such but it's OK as far as I know. Power supply at the moment is a Valhalla. I did consider the Orgin Live range of motors/power supplies but combination of cost and conflicting opinions put me off somewhat. I also considered the Funk route and might still pursue that option in future. Or maybe the Sole or Cetech sub-chassis. Comes to the point where you might ask if it is still actually a Linn.

Arthur
Old 8th August 2011, 07:36 AM

Hi Arthur, I tried a DC motor kit from OL, top of the range, and to be honest it was a big dissapointnent, (no it was ****) ,the thing that got me was the four 6mm thick brass washers to mount the motor on with 3mm screws instead of two distance pieces made for the job. The motor pulley was plastic and not concetric, (you can imagin the results of that), and also all the parts I could have got from RS for less than half the price of the kit, so it was returned for a full refund. Dose your's have a cirkus upgrade? mine has and I think it was worth it. Many after market upgrade's out there now and if you can hear the upgrade's and like wot you hear then that's good. BOB