World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 8th August 2011, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Just bought the new Elbow (double) album -it's a 45. My Linn doesn't play 45's.

Hi Bob

I was not impressed with the quality of the OL Silver tonearm either really, this was also provided with washers as well as nuts for height adjustment and I had to resolder one of the internal wires when it developed hum.
With regards to upgrades, the problem I have is that from my location I have to travel quite a long way to trial anything, which I do if I'm considering spending more serious money. But for items costing a few hundred quid I'm generally prepared to rely on reviews if they're consistently good. I've just seen the Cirkus kit on Rococo Systems website for £450 so while it would be nice to compare it to the Cetech/Sole in person if this was feasible, or even to a Cirkus bearing fitted to Cetech/Sole, the travelling involved would weigh against it. Maybe, then, go for the Cirkus and consider Cetech/Sole later. Choices, choices!

Arthur
Old 9th August 2011, 11:26 AM
Bailey

Default Re: Just bought the new Elbow (double) album -it's a 45. My Linn doesn't play 45's.

I loved 'Asleep in the Back'. Have only heard a bit of the new one, but it seems to be similar, as Phil said, to the debut album in sound.
Old 12th August 2011, 11:00 PM

Well I received and fitted the new Mose Hercules PSU for the Linn so I could and did play the new Elbow album. Must admit I liked it on the whole, especially the quieter tracks which they seem to do so well. Only thing is, with it being a 45, you seem to be jumping up and down every five minutes to change sides/records.
Old 13th August 2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Comedian View Post
Only thing is, with it being a 45, you seem to be jumping up and down every five minutes to change sides/records.
Some people used to call it dancing

DTB
Old 15th August 2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the bass View Post
Some people used to call it dancing

DTB
Not so much 'dance to the music' as 'dance at the end of music' perhaps.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:53 PM
Graffiti

As far as I remember they add a download code to the Vinyl, don't they? So try to pull the new album from the internet and enjoy! It's really worth it imho!
Old 7th February 2013, 10:40 PM

Back onto LP12 mods for a moment, with apologies to those who don't like this turntable. You could always look away now!

I'm with Bob over the Cirkus and have never regretted my Hercules. Has anyone tried the Khan upgrade? I have a special birthday this year (I'm the same age as the original Dr Who series) and may have the opportunity to spend some money on another upgrade to the LP12 which was bought in 1984.

F.
Old 16th February 2013, 12:54 PM

I had a special birthday and bought an Avid Acutus...
Old 16th February 2013, 08:32 PM

John,

Now that was a special birthday. I'd have to delay retirement in order to fund a purchase of that magnitude and probably face a legal bill even bigger than the purchase price to keep custody after the divorce!

As a matter of interest (purely academic), what did you replace with the Avid?

F.
Old 17th February 2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieT View Post
John,

Now that was a special birthday. I'd have to delay retirement in order to fund a purchase of that magnitude and probably face a legal bill even bigger than the purchase price to keep custody after the divorce!

As a matter of interest (purely academic), what did you replace with the Avid?

F.
Hi FreddieT,

I replaced a Michell OrGy - Michell Orbe platter, bearing upgrades on a Gyrodec SE in case you don't get it!

I had thought about the Avid Sequel, but decided I would miss the deep, black Orbe platter. Only thing for it was to reach down the back of the sofa and buy an Avid with a deep, chromed platter!

John