World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 15th September 2022, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Rega turntables

Michael, one could fit any arm with a bit of engineering but, a SME 3009 is way off the pace today, a SME 309 is an excellent arm but, a Rega RB 300 would be the best option for a Rega table, as it will fit straight on. Bob
Old 15th September 2022, 01:49 PM

I was under the impression one version of the SME3009 would fit without to much trouble. I don't want the aluminum Rega arm, or a non detachable headshell. Mike.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:27 AM

To my knowledge, all SME arms are fitted with their sled arrangement, there are only two holes in the head shell, not slots as in other arms, the arm is then moved in the sled to achieve the correct cartridge adjustment. Bob
Old 19th September 2022, 08:43 PM

Do you know which SME tonearm will fit?
Old 20th September 2022, 12:10 PM
WD Archivist

Sounds like you have an early Planar 2 or 3. These were fitted with the Rega R200 silver ‘S’ shaped arm, made in Japan by Acos. There is a school of thought that these early arms were more musical and nicer sounding compared to the later and still current Rega RB (Rega Britain) series arms.
To fit an SME arm of any flavour to a Planar plinth, you will need to cut a new large hole in the plinth to take the SME armboard. I don’t know if there is sufficient space on the plinth to allow for this. You would need to work out the geometry and of course, once cut, you would not ever be able to revert to the original fitting without making a bespoke armboard. Furthermore, to accommodate the phono plug and leads that exit the arm, you will probably need to raise the level of the plinth. If you want to explore the different fitting and geometry of the SME arms, there is a wealth of information on the Vinyl Engine forum in their database section.
https://www.vinylengine.com/

My advice would be to have a close look at the Audiomods tone arms. They use Rega geometry and would be a drop in replacement for your R200. They are exceedingly well made individually by Jeff Spall and very good value for money. I have a Series 6 carbon fibre wand which is excellent and much preferred by me to an over engineered dull sounding (IMHO) SME.
http://www.audiomods.co.uk/
Old 21st September 2022, 07:34 AM

Thank you for your reply to M,s question Greg, I was trying to answer and post when the forum went down yesterday my answer was similar to yours but in more detail, I also suggested a better cartridge instead of a different arm, I do think one would need to spend a lot of money on an arm ( £2000.00 ) or more to make a better sound, so, a cartridge would make more sense. Bob
Old 21st September 2022, 08:17 PM

Agree with both of you - but would add:

An Audiomods arm would be a very good upgrade (I had one of the DIY kits and it was very good) but given the price of them now you could buy a brand new, latest spec, Rega Planar 3! This comes with the RB330 arm which can also be bought separately and would be a significant upgrade to the existing arm. Other good upgrade arms are available from Origin Live and Funk Firm.

However if it were me I would:

Check/repair the antiskate on the R200 arm - the belts tend to die with age (new belts are available). And, as Bob says, fit a new cartridge - I would go with one of the Audio Technica VM95 range, but I wouldn't go higher than the VM95EN, the VM95C is a very good conical and would play lovely in this arm as would the VM95E. Also change the motor/platter belt for one of the latest OEM ones from Rega. I wouldn't go any further with this deck, preferring the route of selling it to purchase a late Rega Planar 3 as a better option.

If what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow
Old 4th October 2022, 09:08 PM

I don't suppose a Burne-Jones tangential arm with Goldring G500 would cut much ice these days . . . . .
Old 4th October 2022, 10:43 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Trousers View Post
I don't suppose a Burne-Jones tangential arm with Goldring G500 would cut much ice these days . . . . .
Probably not, Baggo, but at least you have contributed the first post on here in nearly a fortnight!
Old 5th October 2022, 08:01 AM

Yes Greg, it is very poor at the moment, I am hoping to post my Phono mods soon, it has been a long journey so far but nearly there. Bob