World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 6th October 2022, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Rega turntables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Probably not, Baggo, but at least you have contributed the first post on here in nearly a fortnight!
Well, my halo is not that well polished for this was my first appearance here this year! I think it such a pity that the enthusiasm and vitality - and the occasional adversarial confrontation! - which characterised the show twenty years ago have withered to the current pitiable state.

But the mention of the Planar arm manufactured by Acos intrigued me because I ditched a Decca International - a rather clever unipoise design - for an Acos Lustre which became one of the best arms I have ever had; it may be the same as the one employed by Rega. Went well with a Shure V15 Mk something. However, I'm now steaming somewhat astern of the fleet because I forsook LPs for the new-fangled CD in the '90s and as a consequence, am wholly ignorant of the current scene which, I gather incorporates "vinyl" or somesuch.

Anyway, the reference to Rega reminded me of a dinner of the Worshipful Company of Gunsmiths I attended years ago and which was a rather grand affair. There was a different wine to accompany each of the several courses and I noticed that the pretty girl keeping my glasses charged was of foreign extraction. As part of my standard chat-up procedure, I asked her from where she came. "Latvia" was the response.

Did she know that the largest organ in Europe was in Riga? She seemed a bit puzzled but after a moment, she replied "My boyfriend lives in Riga."

Perhaps I should leave it another year before my next appearance . . .
Old 6th October 2022, 11:27 AM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Rega turntables

Ho ho! Nothing like a big organ tale