World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 28th March 2006, 08:44 PM

Default World Designs Forum Members Activities Blog

Hi Everyone,

Simon Chambers, Steve Shiels, Ed and I had a great day on the 25th March comparing our amps at Steve's Place.
Have a look here to see what we got up to and what we concluded.
http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/4...339DF6E57.html

Watch this space for the phono shoot-out article

Steve
Old 28th March 2006, 09:44 PM

Default Re: World Designs Forum Members Activities Blog

Excellent Steve.....looks as if it was a good day. Some nice gear and classic valves....heaven! (well to some of us!)
Old 28th March 2006, 10:14 PM

Smile Re: World Designs Forum Members Activities Blog

Hi Steve,

Great stuff, - I've not had chance to read everything yet, but certainly will! Although I don't often have much to contribute to the BB, i've been following events at WAD (and latterly WD) for a good while now, and must certainly say that even if I have nothing to contribute, this BB and the guys that freely offer advice, are inspirational!

The one thing I sometimes feel prevents us newbies from writing in, is lack of experience. I can only comment on the kits I've built and experiences gained from them. I'd certainly love to actually see, and hear what other kits / tweaks, and general inventivness can yield.

It's a pity the WADfests were up in Yorkshire, and hope maybe there might be enough intersest to ensure more of these take place in future. Prehaps when WD have enough new kits, a grand launch could take place, showcasing a whole WD system!!!!

Mike.
Old 28th March 2006, 10:17 PM

Cool Re: World Designs Forum Members Activities Blog

What all you guys proved beyond a shadow (no pun intended, it just happened) of a doubt is that you need real life conditions to sensibly compare different pieces of gear - were'nt you pleased with the new valves Shadow.

Black Stuart
Old 28th March 2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart
were'nt you pleased with the new valves Shadow.
Black Stuart
Hi Stuart,

I was extremely pleased with the new valves. What can I say about the Mullard EL34s that hasn't been said already. They are superb.

The vintage ECC32 is also lovely. It has a delicate expansive sound with stunningly deep bass and widescreen imaging. It certainly gave my subwoofer something to think about until I readjusted the set-up to accommodate the extra low frequency information.

Steve
Old 28th March 2006, 11:11 PM

I don't want to pour cold water on anything Steve has written here but I must point out that I'm no expert in this arena...what I am is a wholehearted recent convert to SE. What I heard at this event was musical and magical to my ears and, sad to say, I am no longer happy with my system......again!

curses!!!

Terry Pratchet has cornered the market on describing those 'invisible demons', but I think he got it wrong...they aren't bugs, they are electrons!

lol

Ed
Old 29th March 2006, 07:21 PM

what a write up steve...

i enjoyed the day, and i was rather suprised by how close all the kit was on the day, ..The main difference between the amps was the subtle background detail.. all played the 'tune' very, very well...

lowthers are not everyone cup of tea.. but they are very, very revealing.
of amps and sources and they do sort of change the goal posts...
simons 401/ wad phono combination sounded near identical to my orical/ ear phono... through the same amp.. very close..and not what i expected of the EAR.. i was sure it would be well behind ..and i'm sure they would have been on conventional speakers.

I think the biggest upgrade on the day was moving the tv from next to a speaker and Eds very constuctive comments on imaging, the differences where subtle to me, but they where there..
I was suprised that Ed thought the 1 watter was the best image...
up to that point I was blaming the speakers.
I need to do a little work in getting the bass deeper..its that old miller effect...

I have found some bases for the det25 vlaves so will be having a go wth them in the next few weeks

and i have managed to get hold of some 1.5 watt versions of the 1 watter valve that will just drop in.. they may be loud enough for eggbrough..

and the 2p's will be have a residency in that amp too

and i'm just trying to get hold of enough high gain old mesh plate globes to make a phono...I'm not going down the high Gm route, i think the old valves will give more detail...I hope

thanks again to you all

cheers steve
Old 29th March 2006, 11:08 PM

Yes, it was a very enjoyable day indeed, and really flew by. Thanks again Steve for having us round and making us so welcome.

I found the day most thought provoking. As has been said before there wasn't that much difference between any of the amps, subtle nuances in balance really. All credit to Steve and Steve for their designs, I can't claim any here - I built Philip's (Bluebell) take on WE91.

I thought that my amps and the 401 didn't sound as good as they do at home and have spent some time musing on the possible reasons and implications. There were so many changes to system and room that it's not possible to come up with any definitive conclusions, but I guess tuning of my system in my room to my ears must have a considerable effect. Maybe those Lowthers just change the rules with their sensitivity...

It was a pleasure to have Ed along. As a muscian (I'm not) Ed had a very interesting perspective on the sound and provided insight that would never have occurred to me. I think we all gained a lot from each others perspectives.

You know what Steve, I think you're right, those old obscure valves you have make the difference. And I must try the preamp-less pot mod you recommended, just to see what difference it makes.

Simon.