World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 30th August 2022, 07:27 PM

Default Is a drive belt also an acoustic filter for motor noise ?

Donīt know if there are any Linn users on the forum but if there are and you havenīt changed your belt recently I would suggest you try a "blue belt" from Mike Pickwell at Pickwell Audio. pickwellaudio@gmail.com) ( In my case the label size says : 167.5 x 5 x 1 ) No idea what itīs made of or why but Iīd say it has upgraded my fairly basic deck quite substantially for just 25 quid. The Linn original belt costs 50 pounds ! My theory is that it not only helps the platter to revolve at 33 1/3rpm (approx) but somehow fulfills another function as a sort of filter for motor noise because the noise floor off the disc drops quite dramatically. Everything improves, mids, bass, everything. Like having new LPs etc. etc blah, blah. Just try it if you can

P.S. Mike has all sizes of belts for many decks but I can speak only for my case.

P.P.S. It really does have a "right way round" - I had never believed that of any belt I had fitted in 40 years of Linn ownership but now I know itīs true. Try one and then the other. It will hit you in the face. Honest !

Last edited by VantheMan; 30th August 2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 30th August 2022, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Is a drive belt also an acoustic filter for motor noise ?

Interesting, I have tried new Linn belts, on my LP12 when they were much cheaper and found no change at all, I then changed from Valhalla to Lingo and well, not a lot of difference, I then tried a OL DC MOTOR kit, the best way of describing this kit is not allowed to be posted on here, OK, it was ****, so I reverted back to the AC motor with Lingo PSU and have stayed that way for years. Linn now have a DC motor and PSU at Ģ 4000.00 plus, so it may be worth a try at this new belt, we will see. Bob
Old 30th August 2022, 08:34 PM

Just do it, please !
Old 5th September 2022, 02:53 PM

My understanding was that the belt is allways a noise filter on any belt drive deck. It was attractive to manufacturers for this very reason, it is how early budget decks like the Pioneer PL12 were able to be quieter than similar priced idler drive decks and so take sales from BSR, cheaper Garrards etc. It is of course possible to make a quiet idler but it is expensive, requiring a very high quality motor, sturdy build etc.

Phil.
Old 6th September 2022, 09:52 AM

Cheers Phil, in that case my deck prefers the blue belt to the Linn one because it swallows up a lot of nasties that were getting through to the platter and the tip/groove interface or whatever.
Old 6th September 2022, 05:02 PM

I should imagine that all belts degrade with age, they are just rubber (of some sort) after all.
It would be interesting to hear how your new belt compared to a new Linn one, but at Ģ50 I can see why you wanted to look at other options.

Phil.
Old 7th September 2022, 08:27 AM

To be very honest, I doubt us old timers would hear any difference but, I may try one of those blue belts, I also think there is more to be gained from Linn upgrades such as the new bearing options, better arms and cartridges can also have a big impact on SQ, top end MC, while expensive are far better than most MM, I am now using a Ortofon Cadenzer Bronze at Ģ1750.00 but the sound is fantastic. Bob
Old 8th September 2022, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

The belt is very similar to the springs in car suspension, where "sprung weight" (car body) is very large in comparison to "unsprung weight" (wheels) so the springs (belt) absorb variations in movement and do not transmit it to a large degree the unsprung weight (platter).
Obviously the heavier the platter, with its attendant inertia, the better it is at ironing out motor variations transmitted by the belt which also will remove some of the motor hash itself due to it flexing/stretching.

John
Old 8th September 2022, 01:23 PM

I could not have put it better John. Bob