World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 11th February 2014, 09:30 PM

Default HB3 positioning...

The manual (yes, I happen to have a manual with what appears to be a hand note of Peter's phone nr. on one page! ) says to place them, as a general guide, 1 meter from the walls in large rooms for a smooth response and good imaging. Also says that an alternative placement, for the smaller room, is about 20cm from the rear wall, although this sacrifices some ambiance.
The room I have them on is big, about 8m x 4,5m but there is a big beam horizontally on the middle of the ceiling, which I think affects the sound.
So I placed them about 2cm from the back wall but turned to the listener's position and that improved the bass a bit. However that makes me think about what is the reference point on the speakers on the recommended distances from the back wall. I.E. because the speakers are turned towards the center (toward the listeners position) one corner of the speaker cabinet will always be further away from the wall so when distances from the rear wall are mentioned, is this referring to the corner closest to the wall or the other one, or maybe the middle ?

The recommended set up (as per the manual) is to put the speaker marked as A on the left. I think this makes the mids and tweeter a considerable distance from the side walls to avoid side reflections, even if they're close to the side walls, because the tweeter and mids are off axis on these speakers, maybe on purpose...
This would allow placing them in the corners of the room, is this correct ? It also implies that the distance from the side walls is not that relevant, could you comment on this ?

Next step for me is to use RoomEQWizard to make room measurements with a calibrated mic. I'll post the results here on the forums, just would like some suggestions regarding some speaker positions to try out...

PS
Still waiting for the post to deliver that special glue so that I reseal them... British customs are not what it used to be, back a few years I used to get stuff here on the Algarve quickly and hassle free...

Last edited by JwEs; 11th February 2014 at 09:46 PM.