World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems For questions and answers re World Designs Projects

Old 21st December 2020, 09:39 PM

Default HD3S hum problem.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to DIY audio so please forgive any ignorance or lack of etiquette as regards to both!
I built my HD3S xl and it worked beautifully for about 5 hours then developed a low hum through both channels, independent of the volume control. I've put shorted phono plugs on the inputs, tried it disconnected from everything except power, checked any earthing connections I can find with a multimeter, done a visual check for any loose wires, solder bridges and generally poked around with a chopstick to see if anything makes it better or worse, all to no avail. Could it be a component in the power supply or still an earthing issue? This is my first proper build (previously just a few guitar effects pedals) so I'm pretty much in the dark and any help would be much appreciated as the amp sounded great before this started.
Old 21st December 2020, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: HD3S hum problem.

Hi Rhod and welcome to the forum.
First things - are you absolutely sure you have wired it correctly?
Second - are the voltages all correct to within ±10%
Third - does the hum occur on both channels? - If not try swapping the valves over.

Try these and report back here please

John
Old 21st December 2020, 11:16 PM
WD Archivist

Welcome Rhod. We’re friendly here so let us know your real first name.

I’m sure the likes of John Caswell and Richard will chip in here very soon as they have the knowledge. My uneducated immediate impression is that as it is on both channels, the fault is in the power supply section. It could readily be a dry solder joint or a hum loop, although the later should be in second place because from what you say, it sounded great for five hours. I would revisit all the solder joints in your PSU section, reflow them and see if this is a solution. If not, as said, it’s more a Richard or John Caswell response you need which surely is on it’s way
Old 21st December 2020, 11:58 PM

Wikipaedia -
Rhodri is a male first name of Welsh origin. It is derived from the elements rhod "wheel" and rhi "king".

It may refer to the following people:

Rhodri Molwynog ap Idwal (690–754), Welsh king of Gwynedd (720—754) and about 20 others.

We can cope with Rhod, lucky he doesn't sign himself Molwynog.
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:50 AM

Just to add my notes, I have built two of these for friends and both did have a small but irritating hum, I addressed both by twisting the transformer cables very tight and routing these and other cables to lessen the hum, I never did or could remove it completely at that time I had no scope. to see the hum. Bob
Old 22nd December 2020, 04:51 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for replying so quickly.

Thanks John, yes it's on both channels. Matthew checked my voltages as a couple were slightly high but he was happy with everything. As for wiring, I was very careful and it worked well and very quietly for the first 5or6 hours.
Hi Greg, real name Rhoddy which is actually Scottish so no Welsh king I'm afraid A Stuart . When I get a chance I'll reflow the power supply joints to eliminate that possibility.
I've looked at the transformer cables which i twisted pretty tightly, and tried moving them around with no effect.
The thing that gets me is that it's both channels and it was fine for a while, which makes me wonder if
as Greg suggests, it's the power supply. Could a faulty capacitor cause it?
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:15 PM

I do apologise for mis-interpreting the name. We live and learn. No doubt you are fed up with explaining the whole time. I take it you moved to Carmarthen to stop Scottish people like me asking ?

Alastair

Last edited by A Stuart; 22nd December 2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Rhod,
Just as a silly, please measure the heater voltage on the valve base pins 4-5 and report back here.

John
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhod View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for replying so quickly.

Thanks John, yes it's on both channels. Matthew checked my voltages as a couple were slightly high but he was happy with everything. As for wiring, I was very careful and it worked well and very quietly for the first 5or6 hours.
Hi Greg, real name Rhoddy which is actually Scottish so no Welsh king I'm afraid A Stuart . When I get a chance I'll reflow the power supply joints to eliminate that possibility.
I've looked at the transformer cables which i twisted pretty tightly, and tried moving them around with no effect.
The thing that gets me is that it's both channels and it was fine for a while, which makes me wonder if
as Greg suggests, it's the power supply. Could a faulty capacitor cause it?

Hi Rhod, yes or a faulty diode, they don't like too much heat, have a look around them and if you have spares fit new ones using a small clip on heat shunt and soldering quickly. I only have the old info and don't know if it uses separate diodes or a package. That said dry joints are the favourite so go over them with a magnifying glass.
Old 24th December 2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Stuart View Post
I do apologise for mis-interpreting the name. We live and learn. No doubt you are fed up with explaining the whole time. I take it you moved to Carmarthen to stop Scottish people like me asking ?

Alastair
It's the H that does it Alastair, that and the fact I live in Wales so no need to apologise. My surname is Farquhar, so I'm a sasanach with a Scottish name living in Wales...plenty of cause for confusion!