World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Suppliers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suppliers Recommended Component Suppliers (and the ones to be avoided)

Old 27th November 2007, 01:34 PM
stevef

Default Parts Connexion

I guess everyone knows of them(!?) but I didn't see them mentioned!

In my experience very good service and help, great range of parts and prompt delivery - 5 days by small package airmail from Canada to UK!!

Current (Nov 2007) USD/GBP exchange makes thier prices (NB prices in USD not Canadian) makes for many a bargain!!

Steve

http://partsconnexion.com/
Old 27th November 2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Parts Connexion

Many a bargin yes, until you cop for Import Duty, VAT and courier handling charges.

I have ordered many times from these and never been done for duty etc. until the recent drop in value of the Dollar against the Pound. Seems now with the dollar being so low and so many people buying from the States that all parcels from USA are being charged by Inland revenue and Customs.

Something to bear in mind.

I should add though that even if you are clobbered for duty and VAT the overall price is generally still cheaper than buying the same goods in the UK!

Last edited by Toppsy; 27th November 2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional note added
Old 28th November 2007, 10:51 AM
stevef

Hi Toppsy

A couple of tips....

> Keep your orders small and get them shipped as small airmail packages - it's often cheaper to split an order and do this than use a courier

> I believe there is a limit that C&E start to add duty - don't know what that is but perhaps someone else does. Incidently my orders to Parts Connexion have generally been small and I've never been asked to pay any duty.

> Some items are exempt from import duties! I checked about capacitors with UK C&E (there's a contact number for harmonisation tariffs on there web page) and got told that capacitors were zero rated!! But you may have to argue that one with a courier service as the chances are they will incorrectly classify the the goods and get you charged!!!

Steve
Old 28th November 2007, 11:08 AM
stevef

This may be helpful - I found the folks on the Revenue and Customs Helpline in this document very helpful...

And as you say Toppsy - given the current exchange rate... even paying duty, etc. means you still get a good deal.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tariff+Classification+Service.pdf (14.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 28th November 2007, 01:25 PM

Hi Steve,

thanks for the tips.

I am soon to place an order with partsconnexion for some Mundorfs. So fingers crossed I wont get stung.

Colin