World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 2nd November 2017, 02:41 PM

Default Updated website plus ...

Dear All

Today we smash a bottle of champagne across the bows of the latest version of the website. Do have a glance! http://www.world-designs.co.uk

We also celebrate the launch of a new preamplifier: Pre4

Its heritage is avowedly Pre3 and it is powered by an un-modified PSU3. A splendid new PCB with ground plane and lots of double landings, loads of room for upgrade components, interstage attenuation to tame unwanted gain and - wonder of wonders - remote control for volume, input selection and a mute function. It all adds up to "fairly nice" and I'm rather proud of it!

Grateful thanks are due to Ian Tyldesley, of this parish, who knocked up the design of a very fine remote control circuit and to John Caswell for resolutely supporting the project at every turn.

Enthusiasts will note that the remote control kit is available separately, along with the existing, very compatible, input relay control board. And also that we are making available our own WD potentiometer PCBs to ease fiddly pot. wiring - these are available in both "standard" and "shunt" versions.

Enjoy!

(It's just possible that in shunting files around, the forum may have been "disturbed" - it looks fine to me so far, but I'd be grateful to hear any adverse reports ...)

All best,

Matthew
Old 2nd November 2017, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Updated website plus ...

HI Matthew
Congrad’s to you and the new products the pre 3 looks good and the shop products site is working well and looks good too now you can zoom in on a product take a look guys
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 2nd November 2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:07 PM

Just at the right time Matthew!
I have a mixed box of parts obtained here and there including one of the prototype remote cases and the parts to build a standard pre3 and a spare PSU3.
Expect a phone call in the near future for the remote control parts as that will save me a lot of head scratching on how to fit a Chinese ebay remote control system in.
Big

Andy
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:21 PM
WD Archivist

I like the upgraded website and the new products look good. I suspect Pre 4 is what many have hankered after for quite a while and it looks excellent. The pot pcb is a very neat addition, especially if shunting. Well done, Matthew!
Old 8th November 2017, 11:28 AM

I concur with Greg, this new addition to the World Designs lineup should remove any excuses not to give an already great preamp a go with improve flexibility and convenience. Great job all!
Old 8th November 2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Yes indeed, excellent additions Matthew!
Old 18th November 2017, 05:11 PM

Smile Re: Updated website plus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Yes indeed, excellent additions Matthew!
From me too. The inclusion of a remote volume control is a welcome advance and if I might be allowed to say so, long overdue.

I have no need of a pre-amp but I'm wondering if the remote facility could physically/electronically be retro-fitted within a 6550 chassis. My listening position is 20ft from the amp so such a gizmo would be welcomed by my ageing knees.
Old 4th March 2018, 04:56 PM

Hi Mathew,
I've been a busy chap over the last few months so sending late congrats........CONGRATULATIONS.
Can I ask kindly that if there is to be a new Phono 4 please could you include a mono switch in the design.
Thank you again for so much.
Henry Curniffe