World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 15th August 2007, 03:08 PM

Default Crossover upgrading

Which makes more of a difference upgrading the resistors (grey cement rectangular ones)or replacing Solen capacitors with SoniqS?The bass section has a need for 84 mF capacitor though(presently 60mF paralelled with a 25mF Solen)Are the SoniqS available bigger than 10mf if not what could the Forum suggest.
Old 15th August 2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Crossover upgrading

Are the 84uF caps in the bass? if they are, then you don't need to stretch to the SAX range of soniqs. The ppx range has values of 33uF and 47uF. If they are feeding the bass then you wont really notice the difference between sax and ppx anyway. Then you can splashout on the Sax for mid/tweeter section where the quality of the cap will be more apparent....

Both are better than the Solen standard fare. Not sure about whether Solen have a range topper tho......

ONE LOVE
Old 17th August 2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Crossover upgrading

I've 'upgraded' my Dave Berriman DBS7 kits x-o (kit from HiFi News) in all manner of ways. Gone from standard caps (whatever they were - yellow, possibly Arcotronics) to some I had made by ICW (who make Soniqs I think) then to Mundorf M-cap supreme (silver in oil). Frankly there's not much, if anything in it. For space reasons I've now removed the Mundorfs and am happy with soniqs.

However, changing inductors to Alpha-Core copper foils brought a smoother sound. Bit expensive I'm afraid & they are rather large.

But, the biggest improvemetn I've ever had from component swapping (in any equipment) was with Mills non-inductive wire-wound resistors (from Michael Percy in US) in place of the white ceramics you have. MUCH smoother and more musical presentation.

Hope that helps

Adrian