World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 20th January 2006, 07:26 PM

Default Simply Vinyl?

Has any one bought any vinyl on the "Simply Vinyl" label? What do you think of the sound? People I have spoken to, say nothing but bad. A chap in Probe Records of Liverpool, said he had heard that they are CD's played into a record cutting machine. (lathe). This is somethig I have heard before. I have seen many titles I'd like to buy on this label, but I won't if the above is true.
Michael Orme. Rhyl. UK

Last edited by michael orme; 20th January 2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 21st January 2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Simply Vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael orme
Has any one bought any vinyl on the "Simply Vinyl" label? What do you think of the sound? People I have spoken to, say nothing but bad. A chap in Probe Records of Liverpool, said he had heard that they are CD's played into a record cutting machine. (lathe). This is somethig I have heard before. I have seen many titles I'd like to buy on this label, but I won't if the above is true.
Michael Orme. Rhyl. UK
Er. Its not true. I've had a number of Simply Vinyl pressings in the past and haven't had an issue with a single one of them. Sound fine, look fine, well packaged etc.
Old 21st January 2006, 01:24 PM

I have quite alot of these, some of them are 'okay' some are better, alot are superb sounding pressings, just like any recording I guess. I haven't bought any in a long while, but I checked their website recently and they don't seem to have anywhere near the selection they had a few years back, which is a shame. I always bought when they were on offer.
Old 21st January 2006, 02:21 PM
Lord.

I bought a load of Simply Vinyl releases two years ago in one of their sales.
It was all good stuff, except where they had transferred one single LP into an audiophile double LP - completely ruining the flow of the LP.

I have recently unsubscribed from their mailing list as they seem to have added little to their catalogue and their sales are now almost permanent.
Old 21st January 2006, 03:56 PM

The 180g double albums were good - especially when they were cheap in HMV (Leftfield, Primal Scream).
The thinner, cheaper vinyl was ok on some - like the film soundtracks (across 110th street) - but was poor on others - (Portishead)
The Simply Vinyl releases have completely disappeared in my local HMV but, so has vinyl after its brief reappearance.
Old 21st January 2006, 04:02 PM

I bought their Supertramp 'Crime of the century' I didn't think it sounded that good. Compared it to an original 70's pressing bought from Woolworths £1.99.....................

Sent the Simply Vinyl one back and persuaded my friend to sell me his original for a £1!!
Old 23rd January 2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermio
The 180g double albums were good - especially when they were cheap in HMV (Leftfield, Primal Scream).
The thinner, cheaper vinyl was ok on some - like the film soundtracks (across 110th street) - but was poor on others - (Portishead)
The Simply Vinyl releases have completely disappeared in my local HMV but, so has vinyl after its brief reappearance.
I have Portishead on the original vinyl label, the surface noise is great, and there is annoying sibilance, (my own pet hate) on a few words. It's on the record though, the whole recording sound sterile, almost mp3 like.
Old 23rd January 2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiro
I bought their Supertramp 'Crime of the century' I didn't think it sounded that good. Compared it to an original 70's pressing bought from Woolworths £1.99.....................

Sent the Simply Vinyl one back and persuaded my friend to sell me his original for a £1!!
I am unconvinced by some of the others here, I don' t believe SV are using the original analog master tapes to make the vinyl LP from. I can smell a "digitaly remastered record", before I open the sleeve! Besides, I remember seeng Nirvana Unpllugged on SV brand new, it was about £20, I already had it brand new on White Vinyl, not long before for about £9!
Michael (Doubter) Orme. Rhyl. UK.

Last edited by michael orme; 23rd January 2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 24th January 2006, 08:55 AM

A number of contented customers to be found on another forum that you also frequent Michael.....

I think though,that at the price,you must expect that these arent ever going to rival MF or similar for quality or production values,but they do represent adequate,cheap vinyl,for many customers.
Old 24th January 2006, 09:44 AM

Good in places, Michael, from what I've found .
The UK reissues seem to be better than the US ones .
The vinyl is not as static free as original vinyl and tends to pick up dust, but this is a common problem with reissue vinyl, I find .

They are worth having for the otherwise expensive collectable stuff , but if the originals are only £10-£15, then they are usually better . The Nick Drake reissues are as good as late 70's 2nd pressings , so are well worth it .

Choose carefully .
The only really dependable reissues I've found so far are :

Classic
Sundazed
Mercury Living presence

Mark