World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 9th May 2021, 01:24 PM

Default Rega turntables

Hi all,

I see that there have been very few posts on either this Topic or within the WAD/WD Forum in general over the last few years, so I thought I would try to start a few threads going to invigorate a little discussion. I remember 15 years ago how active this place was and it was great.

I'd just like to see what any members thoughts are on Rega turntables? In particular the P2 or P3, and the various upgrades that can be had to several components (Tangospinner, Groovetracer etc....)
There must be one or two members with a Rega TT and a WD Phono 3 for example.

Regards,

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804
Old 9th May 2021, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Rega turntables

Hi Neil/all
Well my Rega Planner 3 story kinda began late 1988 in my local HIFI Shop Holburn HiFi in Aberdeen
The shop where I knew the staff and had a friend who worked there on Saturdays so I was free to hang around with them so spent many a Saturday in there hearing all sorts of gear of the likes of the mission. Audio lab NAD Naim Rotel Etc

Turntable choices were the likes of AR. Revolver Rega Linn.
And So I ended up with a AR 101 fitted with a Audio Technica AT-F3 with a Mission Cyrus one and haybrooks HB2
Ok so that’s the back story

And so to my vintage Rega planner three which started life out as parts from eBay where I got the Plinth platter and motor the plinth is the black laminated chipboard one with the black Rega 3 logo on it. Which I think was the first original there was also a green version with black logo. The Arm was not the RB300 but a RB250 modded by john of Audio Origami who is a member on here and here’s a link to his site
http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/tone-arm-rewires/
My RB250 with an Ortofon MM2 Blue and is foam-filled and rewire with Cardas ppce long Gold tags and the external wire is SOFC (silver and ofc copper cocktail) with separate earth wire and modified gold phonos. with The Michell Engineering TecnoWeight on the end of it All Good

The Motor is still the standard Mains one but with a twin pull and remounted with rubber gasket this is where Rega failed badly in my view by just hanging the motor off a belt.
I am now thinking about making the very last upgrade to the Rega with the three belt pulley as I already have one and the motor only plinth to sit under the Rega plinth I may get the 24v motor but not sure about that yet
Here’s a couple an image of the Rega
OH and still have the A.R 101 Turntable
https://ibb.co/KzVnF5T
https://ibb.co/HVjkwLh
https://ibb.co/myXX7dN

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 9th May 2021, 08:47 PM

Nice to hear from you Colin.

I'm looking to jump into a plain P2 to start with.
I wish I'd built up a record collection years ago, but I didn't - so I'm starting from scratch!
I'd like a decent starting point that I could potentially upgrade from, and it looks like Rega offers some nice products. I'm interested in a current P2 or P3, with MM cartridge.

Regards,

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804
Old 9th May 2021, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I did keep all my Vinyl when I got lost in the CD world.
But when you came back to that same vinyl sad to say that a lot of it doesn’t sound as good as I remember it on the older AR 101 turntable maybe I should set the AR up again as it still runs fine
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 10th May 2021, 07:43 PM

Hi Colin,
I think I know what you mean - with a TT, it needs to be played and maintained I guess?
Luckily for me, there are not one, but two boutique record stores near to where I live, and I guess there are more if I can actually be bothered to venture out - these days, I can't!!

It would be a nice addition to my system.

Neil.
Old 10th May 2021, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Neil/All
Yes, I think the kit I have now is much more revealing and shows up a lot of the badly recorded Albums of the day. But on saying that many sound magical on my single-ended system.
And I should start thinking about getting my other two turntables going a ThornsTD160 mk2. With a Rega 251 on it but it needs a new plinth built for it and the 150mk2 needs an Arm with a Linn mounting or a Rega arm board made for my Rega RB251 three-point mounting. but woodwork is not my thing

Old 12th June 2021, 11:08 AM

Hi,

I am using an RP3 in one system with the standard Linn K5 that it came with (second hand, but presumably the original cartridge). My son has the RP1 with the Rega Carbon that it came with new. I think both sound wonderful for the money. I have always been seriously impressed with the RP1.

I would like to upgrade the RP3 and need to research again the various possibilities – what people think is the best route and order to go down – mat, platter, motor, cartridge etc. The present cartridge is obviously a very budget model.
Hifi World occasionally do articles on this and I must look back through old issues.
If anyone has thoughts on this it would be interesting to hear.
Old 12th June 2021, 06:02 PM

You can read about my experiences here:

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=37382.0

I'm willbewill.
Old 12th June 2021, 07:53 PM

That is a very interesting thread and journey. I will have to re-read it a few times to take it all in. But fascinating what you did and the results you observed. Thank you. Simon
Old 15th September 2022, 11:27 AM

I read on the Net that a version of an SME 3009 tonearm with fit a Rega turntable. Does anyone have any more information about this. My Rega has an "S" shape tonearm, and is from about 79 or 80.