World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 30th December 2018, 08:37 PM

Default Speakers for my Kel84

I'm currently shopping around for a pair of book shelf speakers for my Kel84. Currently shortlisted are the Klipsch R-51M and the Monitor Audio Bronze II .

Still though I'm open to advice from fellow forum members who might suggest other more viable options.

My budget is something in the region of £320.

What's your take on this ?
Old 31st December 2018, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Speakers for my Kel84

Speakers are a very personal thing, what one would say are fantastic another will say poor, you and you only must chose what is best for you. High efficiency is an important factor ( around 88db and higher ) for your KEL as it only has 12 watts output, some speakers will work against a wall, others will sound boomy, try to get a home demonstration from a dealer, it is the only way. BOB
Old 31st December 2018, 02:45 PM

Bob is right, we all have a different idea how a speaker should sound, taking a pair home a long weekend demo is a good idea, your room size and how they will be used will also impact on your choice.
Your budget is very tight and will limit very much your choice, unless you buy secondhand.

Check out the Kef LS50, you may get a secondhand pair on ebay for less £400

The LS50 is nothing short of a masterpiece of a minimonitor, priced so that anyone serious about audio can buy a pair -- and probably should, if only to know how great a small speaker can be. Time hasn’t been as much on my side as it’s been on KEF’s -- the LS50 is one of their best speakers yet, and one of their best values; it’s proof that, as it ages, this company seems to get better and better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kef-LS50-...MAAOSwhspcBDgL

Chris.
Old 31st December 2018, 07:21 PM
WD Archivist

Considering your budget and the need for a margin of sensitivity, I would be inclined to look at a kit build, possibly with a single full range driver. Have a look at Fonkens. They can sound remarkably good. Just be aware the Fostex drivers do benefit from being thrashed when new to get them to bed in and settle down. Over the years I’ve heard various versions of these and for the cost involved, the sound is excellent.

https://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
Old 31st December 2018, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback provided so far.

Indeed part of the exercise of choosing the right speaker is more or less based on personal taste. In my situation though, I don't have the luxury to try them out cos in my country it's very hard to find HI-FI speakers in stock let alone try them out for a weekend. I have to order everything from abroad.

In my original post I was more focused on specs rather then personal taste. One thing for sure is that I need to choose sensitive speakers. The other requirement is a nominal 8ohm impedance with minimal dips especially below 4 ohms across the spectrum.

The WD25A fit the spec but can't purchase them any longer. Was wondering if anyone has experience with other speakers that fit both the spec and the budget.

Both the Klipsch and the Monitor Audio mentioned above fit the spec and budget but wasn't sure if I was making the right choice by shortlisting them.
Old 31st December 2018, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I wouldn't worry too much about sensitivity as I've had 2 Kel84 into 84dB speakers at home (7m x 5m room) and they were more than loud enough. Into big speakers at very loud levels maybe some compression but not at usual domestic levels. Kel84 is a smooth amp with good weight and body so given your location and choices I'd go with the MAs and trust the reviews Lovely place you live btw
Old 1st January 2019, 03:13 AM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Lovely place you live btw
Yep, a beautiful island completely dependent on EU subsidy inhabited by people who hate the EU. Makes you wonder if we are in a better place?
Old 1st January 2019, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Politics gentlemen!
Knock it off or I will.

John
Old 1st January 2019, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Good points John/Greg, if in the EU consider possible pending implications for price/availability, I suppose we could run out of magnets or something..
Old 1st January 2019, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

There are review/awards links on the MA site,

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/prod...onze/bronze-2/

https://www.monitoraudio.com/site/as...e-2_lowres.pdf