World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 12th December 2006, 10:25 PM

Default Burning downloaded music

Hi-in my quest for "barbershop" music i was directed to the Sweet Adelines web site (female 4 part harmony) and i listened to some of their music.

As i liked the sound i downloaded some tracks to windows media player and burnt them to a blank CD-R80.This disc plays ok on my computer but wont play on either of my cd players or my dvd player.

Why ?

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 12th December 2006, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Burning downloaded music

Three letters Philip

DRM.

If these files were Windows Media Audio files then they are probably wrapped in Digital Rights Management coding.

Basically this means that you can only play the files on the computer you downloaded the files to. Even if you burn a CD it will not play on anything but the computer that had the original files.

Unless you can get hold of the music as MP3 files you're stuffed I'm afraid.

The record industry and Microsoft: don't you just love them

Try the iTunes Store. Their DRM allows you to basically do what you want once you've bought the tracks. Once you burn a CD the DRM is stripped out.

Steve
Old 12th December 2006, 10:52 PM

Thanks Steve-i had a feeling it might be something like that.

regards Philip

ps have you posted the PT15 with the new driver and latest mods on your site yet ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 12th December 2006, 11:10 PM

Philip
try limewire for music sharing

http://www.limewire.org/

you should be able to find your barbers shop music

Old 12th December 2006, 11:18 PM

DRM is a pain, especially on the Windows side.

The assumption is that customers are thieves and Microsoft is only too happy to play along to lock down your music with their coding.

They would have loved to supplant the open CD standard with Microsoft technology so that they would own the means to reproduce the music and get their software into every media player.

Trouble is, the iTunes store and the iPod came along and screwed up the scheme, hence the Microsoft Zune player and it's little percentage on every player they sell that goes to Universal Music.

Typical Microsoft behaviour. If you can't own the well, poison the waters so nobody can drink.

Microsoft is hoping that the record companies will pull their content from iTunes if Steve Jobs tells them to go screw themselves (which he will) when thay start demanding a piece of the action on every iPod player sold like Microsoft is offering Universal on the hardware side.

The problem for Microsoft is that nobody is buying Zunes and Steve Jobs owns the legal download market. Why? He gives the people what they want; cool music players and easy to understand purchasing.
You pay your money, you own the track. It's what's known as fair use rights.

Hell will freeze over before Microsoft will accept that. Fair use and open standards is anathema to them.

The PT15 is still in a state of flux at the moment so I don't want to put anything up just yet.

Steve.
Old 13th December 2006, 11:41 AM

Limewire .... yes it is free and there are thousands (millions, potentially) of mostly MP3 files out there, but there's viruses, trojan types and other bugs just waiting to get on your hard drive.

I speak from saddened, personal experience and it has taken a while to get back to normal PC wise. I have a few more antimalware type progs to slow things down but adds further protection.

Beware!
Old 13th December 2006, 05:17 PM

Hi,
I'm sure that there are choices on how you want to record your music files to CD in WMP? If I remember, under setting you can chose if you want to encrypt, copy protect, play CD only on source PC or any other player. I think its under the same options where you configure the recording quality, i.e
64~380kb/s sample rate for example? Sorry to be vauge, have not used it for a while as Linux is my main source for recording.

Cheers

Adam
Old 13th December 2006, 09:50 PM

Hi Pre65,

Just a daft thought, has the disk been 'finalised'? My disk spinner doesn't want to know unless this little task is done.

Cheers,
Mike.

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.
Old 13th December 2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
You pay your money, you own the track. It's what's known as fair use rights.
That will be why OSX x86 will only run on Apple hardware then?

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG
That will be why OSX x86 will only run on Apple hardware then?
Sorry Nick

A little bit of Mac fanboyism surfaced there.
I'll try to keep it in check in future

Seriously though the record industry and Microsoft want a subscription model for digital downloads where you can listen to thousands of tracks for a monthly fee.

Trouble is all the music has to be wrapped in draconian DRM and your machine has to phone home every so ofthen to check that you are up to date with your subscription. If you don't keep up the payments your music stops working.

You are also severely restricted as to what you can play the tracks on. Otherwise some people would simply download hundreds of tracks in a month and then burn a series of CDs then cancel their subscription.

iTunes a la carte shopping method is not what the industry wanted at all.
The record companies did not think the iTunes store would have been the success it was. They'd never have let Steve Jobs get awaywith his download model if they'd had any inkling what the outcome would have been.

Steve (I promise not to mention A**le again)