World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Old 9th December 2008, 11:15 PM

Default Ali Taits Owston Aquisitions - How do they sound?

Mr Tait aquired two new amps at Owston....the controversial 40Watt Audioromy 813 and Ariels 4 watter. I wonder what feedback Mr Tait has to give about these two amps now that he has (probably) listened to these extensively.
Feedback please Ali! Are high power amps the best or should we build ourselves flea power amps?
Old 9th December 2008, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Ali Taits Owston Aquisitions - How do they sound?

Well I'm frankly gobsmacked with the 813's driving the statics.If anyone wants to hear an electrostatic speaker do proper bass,come and have a listen! I'm so impressed I'm giving serious consideration to building my own 813 amp,the logic being if such a crappily-built amp with presumably pretty rubbish transformers can sound so good,how brilliant will an amp built with decent components and trannies sound? It was sounding very nice up until a couple of weeks ago,when I decided to buy some Mundorf silver/oil coupling caps for my Audio-Note dac.They sounded a bit all over the place for the first week,then I was away for the weekend so left a cd on repeat.I was amazed at the sound that greeted me on returning.I called Mo to come round for a listen,and he's been back twice since coz he likes it so much! To my ears,my system is sounding the best it has ever done by a very large margin.To me,the 813 has much better and deeper bass than an 845,and mids and highs as good as a 211 maybe.Mo commented that the top end sounded like his 45.Seeing as 211 and 45 are my two favourite valves,you can probably guess how good this amp sounds to me.Seems the statics need a bit of grunt to really make them sing.

To ensure this is the right way to go,Nick is coming round on Saturday so I can have a listen to his 211 on the statics,to see how it compares to 813's.I'm looking forward to this,as all who have heard it know how good his amp is.I'm also interested in what his buffer stage will do.

As for the 4W SE,sorry I haven't even tried it yet,been too impressed with this 813. I will get round to it though,honest!