World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 13th July 2006, 02:52 AM

Question The Original WAD 300B Push-Pull (like Greg's)

A little while ago I managed to snap up a complete Quad II set of about '57-'58 vintage - almost mint condition, sold by a friend of a friend of a friend - you know the sort of thing.

I've been listening to them this evening in place of the T16's, and was very struck by how wonderfully sweet, warm and enveloping the sound was. It's made me realise that whilst the T16's can throw a heck of a soundstage, they can sometimes sound a bit etched and hard in the treble and mid. So thoughts have been turning toward trying alternative circuits. Some friends with solid state rigs are suggesting that I ought to be using amps with output power in the hundreds, but I'm not so sure.

I have attended 2 Eggfests, and both times have been able to listen to Greg's 300B push-pull, which if memory serves correctly is a clone of an old WAD design and not their latest p/p? Also, is this a zero feedback design, and what's the output power? They'll be driving 88dB speakers with a fairly flat impedance curve (link in my sig takes you to a graph showing that and the phase angle). Both times I have been very impressed with what I've heard, I thought it sounded absolutely wonderful, and I'm now giving serious consideration to building one of my own.

There are one or two hurdles to overcome - my experience so far is with two kits - the Rozenblit T16 and Grounded grid, with the WAD 2A3PSE before that. This will be the first scratch build that I will have attempted. Also, just to be difficult, I want to build it as two monoblocks - presumably this is possible? The reason is that I tend to site the amps close to the speakers and run long pre-power interconnects - I found that this configuration seemed to benefit the T16's.

I'd been thinking about using these guys for the chassis - hopefully they'll be able to make something suitable as I have neither the expertise nor the equipment for metal-working! http://www.bluebellaudio.com/ . I'd wondered about going vintage for the output transformers (old Stereo 20?) - though presumably they have to conform to a certain spec. I suppose the circuit diagram and component specs would be useful as well.

It may be a while before I take this on due to time constraints, but I'd certainly be grateful for any input/caveats from the good people on this BBS, particularly Greg and others who've already built the circuit. It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks all!!
Old 13th July 2006, 03:12 AM
Lord.

Default Re: The Original WAD 300B Push-Pull (like Greg's)

Dave,

It is a completely different design to the last WAD 300B PP amplifiers.

It does not use Phase Splitting valves, but has Interstage Transformers instead. Have a look in the gallery for some photos of Greg's clone. Feedback was switchable on the original amplifier, everyone switches it out or diconnects it which gives a sensitivity of 280mV and a quoted output of 28W at full whack. I use mine with 88dB/w/m 'speakers at a distance of 3 metres or so and a passive preamp.

The amplifiers were 'monoblockable' using the 16 Ohm taps to give 60 Watts per channel.

I have some scanned HFW and other related articles you might like to look at, PM me your e-mail address.

OR you could be patient and wait for that tease Peter to tell us more about the WD version of this amplifier! See this thread!
Old 13th July 2006, 04:41 AM

Or bight NealG's hand off you wally!
Old 13th July 2006, 08:19 AM
Lord.

Indeed!
I thought that Graeme had decided, but apparently not.

Dave, see these two threads for possible solutions:
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=1023
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=1315

And I see you're back on the NAS for a while...

Here's another link for your signature:
http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/olde...tml/quad2.html
Old 13th July 2006, 08:33 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Dave,

I concur. Do a deal with Neal. His is nicely tweaked already, and if you later want to develop what you have into mono-blocks, you'll have most of the building bricks to start with.

I can supply alot of material to you regarding this amp including build specs for the clone and various useful articles, instructions etc if you wish.

Although WAD claimed 28 watts per channel this is not the full picture, particularly if like me you reduce the 300B dissipation to give them an easier life. Neal (he's a mathematician and I'm not) calculated my amp produces about 11 watts per channel in class A. Plenty for most needs into my 90dB KLS3's although a bit of a struggle trying to fill the Eggfest hall with loud Bach organ music!......incidentally for those who heard that in June, no damage done and that rather harsh treble was down to the CDP which I'd not used with the amp before.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 13th July 2006, 08:50 AM

I must confess was (still am) very tempted by Neal's one.

But I'd feel like I was 'cheating' if I bought a completed kit, if you see what I mean. regardless of whether I could achieve the same sonic results on my own, I feel that physically building the amp is as important as listening to it, not only that it gives the novices like myself a chance to understand the amps and circuits more fully - and the more experienced a chance to discuss, impart knowledge and perhaps make new discoveries themselves as discussions unfold. its a kind of passing the baton as it were.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing some of the articles if that's at all possible.

Last edited by KennyK; 13th July 2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 13th July 2006, 08:57 AM

picky picky picky Can't believe nobody has snapped it up yet! I mean, THE best WAD amp. and people are umming and aahing!
Old 13th July 2006, 09:06 AM
Lord.

Question Pp

Yes Neal,
Especially as it is nicely upgraded and less than half the 1996 Kit price! It would be selling for about £1500 now, given inflation.

Kenny,
If you want the experience of building it as a kit, buy Neal's, strip it and then build it - you'd learn it backwards and forwards.

Drop me a PM with your e-mail, I'll send you the articles (a 1.2MB e-mail even after image compression!).

Greg,
Which articles have you got?
I have the 2 page article, the 3 page upgrade article, the circuit (all thanks to NealG) and the Clones' Spreadsheet! I squeezed the images down with PhotoShop so they won't clog an inbox too quickly.
If you have anything else, let me know as I'd like a look.
Old 13th July 2006, 09:13 AM

I'm going to put the price up!
Old 13th July 2006, 09:21 AM

Hi Guys,
Kenny, Dave, Clive,
Sorry to see you are pulling out of the build Clive but glad to see the chassis going to a good home! I'm struggling to find time for mine and realistically will start in the Autumn.

I had communicated with Clive re sharing orders for parts so of anyone is interested in this, then let's start pm'ing each other and start a 'clone builder's club'! I have now got all the electronic parts but it's things like switches, nuts and bolts and other peripherals I havn't yet sourced.

Re the chassis, the orginal WAD one, as Greg says, did have some type of face plate. However,I opted for stainless steel for aesthetic reasons (and because some 'experts' I consulted considered there is no real advantage in an all aluminium chassis......). With a beautiful polished steel finish,there is simply no need for a face plate.

AS for the switch at the front, this was decided on for domestic reasons (and figured in the original design). A front switch is used on the later WAD monoblocs I won and hum is inaudible.

In order to keep hot valves away from curious doggy, I need a front swtich!

Hope that's helpful and if anyone needs any infromation I may have it (although the majority of mine was sourced from Greg and other very helpful bb members).
David