World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 25th June 2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Mats

The trick is in geting it to only just contact the centre pin so it is truly isolated, if it's still quite low on the pin such that it grips the pin you haven't isolated it. It wasnt to be only just centred by the pin where the pin begins to round off. Adjust vta or all you are doing is an experiment in vta.

Warped records not suited to it. Flat records work well.

on your point though I haven't tried it since I got the 103, you might have a point there.

The biggest problem is retaining three equal pins which are straight and not off at an angle. At the end of the day it's all a bit fiddly and though you congratulate yourself on a successful mod, you usually end up flat on the mat.
Old 25th June 2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Stupid? Who said anything about stupid? I'm just trying to get my head around why it would work. Wouldn't the record resonate like a bell? Especially if you're using a cartridge that takes a bit of driving, like a 103.

I said I'd give it a try, so I will.
Having said that, I still want to try something heavy and rubber.

Yeah Yeah, I know..
Old 25th June 2006, 07:24 PM
kgb144

I have successfully tried an Ikea placemat which is a closed cell poly-something or other and is available for 99p in several colours. They are circular with concentric grooved circles and really made a beneficial difference on my current LP12 and is now being used in preference to the standard felt mat. The mats are about 400mm in diameter so need some cutting with a pair of scissors and a sharp knife to make a hole for the spindle. In total 5 minutes.

At 99p a lot of people are very sceptical but my wife noticed the difference straight away. At 99p even if you don't like it you still have a useful table mat. I picked a rather dashing red but they are available in blue, green, white and black.

Happy listening,

ft
Old 26th June 2006, 12:37 AM

Shane

I have 2 of the IKEA mats (not sure why) and I managed to get a Garrard mat for my 401 off ebay last week without paying the earth (previous went for 45 and 50 quid, mine (with centre aluminium disk missing) was c.15). So I can easily put a mat in the post if you can't get to IKEA.

I also have another offering from ebay - a sort of honeycombed rubber thing from Asia. Will compare when the original arrives (hope the absence of the disk's not a problem).

Adrian
Old 2nd July 2006, 04:32 PM

So do you find the Garrard mat best of the bunch Adrien?
Old 2nd July 2006, 11:15 PM

Yes, but by the shortest nose in a photo finish. But that's comparing parts of tracks, repeatedly changing between mats. The difference is that the original is slightly more coherent, things such a cymbols slightly less splashy. These are tiny tiny differences but I imagine over an evening's listening they may add up to more than they do in 30 secs.

It is strange that the obvious diffrence at the phono day is not apparent. Could be due to the IKEA table, or more revealing speakers, better amp etc.

I've done lots of mods recently, all of which lift veils blah blah. The pre-II, phono and KEL84 now seem incredibly revealing. But, the sound is rather fatiguing, on both CD and vinyl - much worse on CD. Neil (acorn) had the same trouble when he upgraded his KEL84 and ended up changing x-o values to soften HF a little. I'm going to try increasing resistor value on the tweeter later in the week.

Adrian
Old 3rd July 2006, 04:23 PM

Just got this off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Its a rather thin, totally nondescript but slightly heavy object. Suddenly I've got loads of bass!
Old 3rd July 2006, 04:43 PM

how many ribs? if it's c.70, could be a garrard 401
Old 3rd July 2006, 10:44 PM

I have to say I still don't get the praise for the original Garrard mat. My glass mat (from Slate Audio) makes a big improvement, especially to the treble,
Old 4th July 2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddam
how many ribs? if it's c.70, could be a garrard 401

Definitely not a 401 mat. It has five slightly raised rings, each about 15mm wide, and a central depressed area. I think it was sold as an after-market accessory, but a very cheap one. It came in a plain plastic bag witha 99p sticker on it!
Picture here:

http://www.thepippin.plus.com/Homebr...r/DSCF0212.JPG