World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 20th September 2020, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Setting up Squeezebox Touch

Richard:
So a dodgy SMPS can upset the SB?
I wonder...…….
I went back up after 2 hours with it left switched on, and its stayed logged into the network and although it needed a reboot to unfreeze the display its started to work properly again.
I'll have an investigate, I could get a 9V 50VA transformer and I already have a couple or 3 LDO 5amp regs and a beefy bridge rectifier to cobble up a regulated 5V supply.

Greg:
You lost me at raspberry pi.
I'm too long in the tooth to play around with computers and no amount of persuasions going to work, I simply don't get it, all I want is a radio.
I get all the musical enjoyment I need from LPs and good old CD which satisfies my needs. I tried downloading and playing stuff via the DAC but I just don't like having a computer wired to the audio system, Its a bind having a length of wire from the laptop. I got hopelessly lost trying to work out how the heck you do this network storage stuff and when I saw how much it would cost to purchase one of the better regarded digital music systems I baulked.

Andy the Luddite
Old 21st September 2020, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

"Richard:
So a dodgy SMPS can upset the SB?
I wonder...…….
I went back up after 2 hours with it left switched on, and its stayed logged into the network and although it needed a reboot to unfreeze the display its started to work properly again.
I'll have an investigate, I could get a 9V 50VA transformer and I already have a couple or 3 LDO 5amp regs and a beefy bridge rectifier to cobble up a regulated 5V supply."

Yes Andy it upset mine anyway. The only other issue I had was with our SB Boom which had a dirty connector as Snowman Al described in that thread I linked to. The display faded over a few weeks then it got connection error messages. A spray with Servisol and re-plugging a few times sorted that out maybe a year or so back and fine since.
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:55 AM

Andy,
I have a Raspberry Pi Hi Fi Berry unit that is sitting here doing nothing
if you think that you could make use of it you are most welcome to have it
FOC . Post me your address and its on its way

Regards

Geoff (pager8)
Old 23rd September 2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pager8 View Post
Andy,
I have a Raspberry Pi Hi Fi Berry unit that is sitting here doing nothing
if you think that you could make use of it you are most welcome to have it
FOC . Post me your address and its on its way

Regards

Geoff (pager8)
That's very generous indeed Geoff.
What exactly can I do with one? I am completely ignorant about this sort of computer stuff.
I have a high quality DAC built in with my CD player which I feed all my digital sources into (TV, Squeezebox, DVD player, personal player, Satellite receiver etc)
The need I have identified is to get a high quality feed from the internet for the radio, Radio3 HD etc which the squeezebox no longer supports.
I'm a complete novice at this and I admit I have huge difficulties grasping the operation of any of the modern Digital technology, even my computer skills are very basic.

Andy
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:58 PM

Hi Andy,
I too am a novice at all things Computer related. The Raspberry Pi and
Hi fi Berry is a stand alone Mini unit that connects to an ethernet cable which gives you streaming capabilities. The setting up for mine was done by Nick Baker and was just plug and play for me. I am sure that Greg or Nigel (Vinylspinner) could assist with any technicalities, once set up its very good.
I progressed from that to a Microrendu which is basically the same but better and now use a Bel Canto eOne streamer which I think is great.
The offer is still open to you, and to anyone else on the Forum who might be interested in trying it

Regards Geoff (pager8)
Old 24th September 2020, 11:35 AM
WD Archivist

Andy, Geoff’s RPi is already Roon ready so to use it for streaming you would need a subscription to Roon (operating system) and also, if you wanted it, a music library. Roon currently only works with the two top lossless sources being Qobuz and Tidal. If you have your CD’s ripped and the files stored on your PC, you can use the RPi for playing these alone. You don’t have to join a streaming service, but if you have Roon, you can access just about any radio station in the world and stream at flac or lossless sound quality.

Alternatively, you could remove the Roon system from the RPi’s SD card and download a free operating system such as Squeezelite which your Squeezebox already uses. There are plenty of other free operating systems. Just google to find them. There is also loads of info on the web on how to set up an RPi to play music. If you have Amazon Prime you automatically have access to Amazon music at no extra cost. It’s not flac quality but pretty good. Again, with Squeezelite, you can simply just play your personal library providing it is stored digitally on your computer.

It’s the way to go, you know