World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th June 2020, 04:50 PM

Default What to do with my CD Player

Anyone who read my "Back in the hifi Saddle" thread would know that my Naim CD2 has given up the ghost. It looks like laser has gone and it isn't easily fixed.

As an update, apparently, if I send it back to Naim via my local dealer they will put in a new laser, but third party repairers can't get the stock.

The question is, do I send the CD2 to be repaired or do I cut my losses and buy another, 2nd hand, CD-Player.

As a bit of background:

My primary source is vinyl and whilst I have a media streamer the sound is not in the same league as the turntable. I tend to use the steamer to listen to old radio comedies or to put on music whilst I'm busy doing something that doesn't go with spinning discs: dusting.

Recently, however, I have missed certain albums that are not available on vinyl. Such as most of Suzanne Vega's output for example. The CD2 had a fantastic sound and I did like it.

Ebay seems to be my only reference to 2nd hand costs at the moment. Someone is selling a Naim serviced CD2 for £725 which seems a lot of money for a CD of that age. However, a CD3-5 weighs in at around £400, but would probably need the optional separate power supply to reveal its full potential (could be purchased later when funds allow).

So do I:
  1. Send the CD2 off to Naim as I will probably get another 10 years out of a repaired unit.
  2. Forget the CD2 and buy another used CD player probably CD3-5 or CD5
  3. Do something different.

I have a leaning towards option 1, but would be interested in your views.

Brian