World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 10th April 2023, 09:21 PM

Default Grado Cartridges

I was messing about getting a nice old PL12D fettled up for my Great nephew who is a very sophisticated youngster in asmuch as he's got the LP bug off his dad and me.
So I thought, (the boys 16 next month so this is a present to upgrade the excellent nick but obviously limited BSR MP60 we started him off with) I'll try a different cartridge to the venerable Shure M75EDit had (new jico stylus out of my toybox).
I remembered I had a little used grado precision black in the stash that had been on a Rega Planar3 I bought a bit back off greg of this parish, beautiful condition. However the Grado hummed like a buzzsaw from the AC motor, apparently a known issue so it was replaced with a Rega carbon to get the kid going.
So I've got this grado, and i put it on the Pioneer and even with a metal platter and a pressed steel chassis screening the motor it hummed very obtrusively.
The annoying thing is aside from this godawful hum issue, its a bloody nice cartridge for £100 last time i checked. Really nice for a MM.
Now heres the killer, I put it on my Michell Gyro, DC motor no Hum fields anywhere and it still thrummed like a bumble bee.
I was puzzled and then thought hmm theres the CD player and the Rega Cursa3 preamp below but separated by a good couple of feet. switched CD off and the hum dropped substantially, Then I swapped over to my Valve CF pre where the Psu is a lot further away and when I turned the Cursa off.............. blessed silence.
Now the point of this is, would you spend good money on a cartridge, no matter how good it is meant to be that didnt have the most basic hum shielding, NONE of my other carts display this issue on ANY turntable.
Frankly I think that renders the Grado prestige range "Unfit for purpose" and if I'd bought it new I'd be demanding my money back.

What would you do?

Andy
Old 11th April 2023, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Grado Cartridges

I have just read that . Bob